Munty Buck

Out this week and took this little fella with the .308

I was interested in learning what sort of age this might be from the head. Haven't had a chance to remove the tusks yet to see if they've started to close over at the root, but this Munty stood out because of it's sheer size. I haven't come across one as large as this on my permission before. It measured close on 53cm to the shoulder and a conservative estimate on weight would be between close on 19 to 20 Kilos. That's a good 5cm taller to the shoulder and I'd estimate almost perhaps 3 to 4 Kilos heavier than most of the bucks that I come across.

Munty10Oct.jpg

Congrats on the buck. it must have been bred with a pig. nice size:)

LoL...more like a wild bore!

I did a double take when I first spotted it about 120 yds away, and thought there's no way that's a Munty, not at that size! A quick scan with the bins proved me wrong. Stalked to around 70 yds before taking the shot. It spotted my movement so couldn't get any closer, but approached from open ground downwind of it, very slowly. It was browsing in a heavily wooded bank. Took the shot off-hand and it dropped instantly after meeting the 150gr SGK. I tend to load heavy and slow for munty...minimal meat damage, although a lost some of this carcass, due to a bullet deflection (Murphy's law).

Nice buck did you keep the head and lower jaw?

Hi Stratts

Yes. Kept the head and lower jaw. Haven't done anything with it. It was outside last night and the crows made an early start on it this morning. May get the stove going outside and boil the head or let nature take it's course and then clean it; either way, I'll save it so I can examine the teeth and jaw in more detail at a later stage.

Thanks Uncle f.

They're certainly hard little so & so's to catch unawares! I find Roe a heck of a lot easier to stalk. Munties are my favourite eating deer without a shadow of a doubt, and while some find them a poor cousin of the more splendid looking beasties, I have rather a soft spot for them and find them an unusual and attractive little species in their own peculiar way.

I agree they are tough to stalk but that's what endears them to me so much
Also they taste great. I'm lucky as I have a good stack of munties on my permission

keep up the good work bud.

Regards steve

IMG_2612.jpg
Shot a big boy as, he was huge and about the same weight as yours, you can see him hung up in the chiller with a "normal" size muntie, had a huge neck on him - we seem to breed them big in Glos!

- we seem to breed them big in Glos![/QUOTE]

They also breed well in Lincolnshire and Norfolk. Had plenty on the hook in the larder Adult male at 28-32lb biggest being 36lb 9oz :thumb:

- we seem to breed them big in Glos!

They also breed well in Lincolnshire and Norfolk. Had plenty on the hook in the larder Adult male at 28-32lb biggest being 36lb 9oz :thumb:[/QUOTE]

That's about the range of weights I'd normally expect for a mature adult buck. This one was over 40 lb and closer to 44 or 45lb!

This one was over 40 lb and closer to 44 or 45lb![/QUOTE]

Sorry but i missed that Huge weight.
I thought it was about the OP 19-20kg ( I'd estimate 31.5lb grollached ) before it was grollached.
Either way still a good muntjac

Last edited:
Ah...crossed wires. It was around 20kg (44 lb) prior to gralloching. Sorry for the confusion. If you've had over a 36 pounder after gralloching...that's huge!

Back