Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jury service

Jury service

Hi all,
    Has anyone had the "fortune" to have done jury service recently? I've just received my summons and from my initial reading it seems as though the whole thing will not only be enormously inconvenient but potentially cost me far more than I can afford in lost earnings.
    At least I'll get to "be proud of carrying out my civic duty" as the accompanying leaflet says...
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    Hi all,
    Has anyone had the "fortune" to have done jury service recently? I've just received my summons and from my initial reading it seems as though the whole thing will not only be enormously inconvenient but potentially cost me far more than I can afford in lost earnings.
    At least I'll get to "be proud of carrying out my civic duty" as the accompanying leaflet says...
    Yep, the offset wage allowance they offer covers minimum wage only. You can also claim for travel/mileage/parking. Fingers crossed you don't get a 3 month fraud trial! Of course if during jury selection and examination you voice discriminatory views about accused or convicted persons it is highly likely that you will sit out your 2 weeks period on the jury pool and then go home.
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    Hi all,
    I did and "carrying out my civic duty" did not sit well with my employer, infact standing up for that duty cost me dear!

Are you self employed? because that might get you relieved of the duty

Quote Originally Posted by widu13 View Post
    Of course if during jury selection and examination you voice discriminatory views about accused or convicted persons it is highly likely that you will sit out your 2 weeks period on the jury pool and then go home.
    Super! Previous HR training has taught me thousands of inventive ways to discriminate against people
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    I did and "carrying out my civic duty" did not sit well with my employer, infact standing up for that duty cost me dear!

Are you self employed? because that might get you relieved of the duty
    As I feared... I
    I'm not self employed. Unfortunately my salary is based on a low number of contracted hours supplemented by various additional allowances and overtime. If the court will only pay me minimum wage and only for the number of hours my contract says I should have worked then I'll be well and truly up the Creek... First port of call is to speak to my employer I suppose, and see if they'll pay me anything.
    Blog

Why should your employer pay you?

SD Regular
    SS. Well it is said that if you turn up dressed like a member of the landed classes that you'll get rejected. Or you could just "act thick" of claim that you have a hearing or concentration problem...

My employer would pay me - it's in my contract.

I'd turn up wearing a "make America great again" baseball cap. Sent straight back home, no worries (in case you actually convicted someone)

Just tell them the criminal justice does not work and is not fit for purpose and theres no way you could give any opinion , thats what i did and i was not requested to go and i was self enployed