Thread: RWS / Parker Hale / BSA

RWS / Parker Hale / BSA

Hi all

I'll be putting in a variation in the new year for either a .243 or .270. I don't have a lot of money for the rifle etc.

Do any of you have any experience of RWS / Parker Hale / BSA rifles, if so what to look out for & to avoid etc

Regards
    Tony

Go for any one based on the mauser 98 action. they are far better than the Springfield action ones made.
    Parker Hale are very good robust Rifles and you have a wide speck to chose from.
    Good luck.
    atb Tommy

Any one of them as long as the barrel is good
    If its hit its history / If its missed its a mystery

A gun is always loaded .A mule always kicks

have had several and still own two
    owned a PH 1100 Lwt .243
    own a BSA Majectic .270 and a PH/John Dickson variant .270

you should be able to pick up a decent one for 200
    IMO you are very unlikely to find one that is "shot out"
    I have had rifles with great chucks of rifling missing that still shot 1/2" with reloads

Cheers lads! I'm not sure which calibre to put in for yet so will keep my eyes peeled for both!

Tony

Personally I'd go .270. Plus they are everywhere in PH rifles.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

SD Regular
    If you can test shoot it. There are some P Hale rifles with 'slack' chambers out there. No doubt the likes of Brithunter would be sat at his keyboard, red in the face, claiming they are superior 'qwality' and etc.. But, no, some have 'slack' chambers.

I had two in .270 at one time on my FAC and fired cases from one would not chamber in the other. And were most difficult to size. To say nothing of the extra stress in put on the case itself as it was re-sized.

Both were M81 Classics. Both shot equally as accurately. But the cases on the 'slack' chamber one (it's at the rear of the case always where it can be seen) were a reloader's nightmare.

Now before Kevin's friends reply the rifle in question was checked over by Norman Clarke's ex-P Hale 'man' Bill. As the cases appearance concerned me. "No," he said. "In proof, safe, but a typical P Hale 'slack' chamber."

So if you can try it, or get the owner to shoot it, and look at the ejected cases. My advice in .270 is look at the SAKO '61' (if that's what it is called) rifle and/or its Holland and Holland 'shot and regulated' version.

Nothing, per se, wrong with P Hale rifles. I've a .30-06 sitting in a gunshop I've got my eyes on. But do, please, be aware that on some the chambers can have issues with being larger than you might wish if you are a reloader.

Also as on all secondhand rifles check the screw holes/threads on the receiver where you screw the 'scope bases on are in good condition and if bases are already fitted (but not of your liking) that, before you buy, they'll come off!
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 11-11-2016 at 13:13.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    some have 'slack' chambers.

I had two in .270 at one time on my FAC and fired cases from one would not chamber in the other. And were most difficult to size. !
    I reload for 4 mauser 270, 2 of which are mine, two are family member's
    there is a distinct path where fired chambers from number one will chamber in all others unsized
    2 will chamber in 3 and 4
    3 will chamber in 4 and
    4 won't chamber in any other

clearly a big enough size difference to be chambered (or not), but I am not aware of any case deformation to the point where sizing is an issue
    unlikely to be an issue for the OP as it sound like he will be going the factory ammo route

Thanks lads. I'll be using factory ammo due to the fact it will probably only come out the cabinet a handful of times a year...

SD Regular
    Hello Bewsher. My two P-Hale rifles in .270 WCF were clearly 1) and 4) on your scale!

TP, if it's factory ammunition then I'd shoot it to try and not worry about the cases. And you can recoup the cost of that ammunition by selling them as genuine once fired on the Forum.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 11-11-2016 at 22:50.