Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do people have to do this.

Why do people have to do this.

Last year I acquired some new ground between Bristol and Bath, only a small patch with a handful of Roe on it. The farmer had planted a belt of new saplings and asked if i'd keep the numbers in check, monitor damage and take the odd one out as he likes to see them about. on previous stalks I'd seen one or two animals, but never the right sex or in a safe position for a shot. However the farmer was happy with this approach, as he said he likes to see them on the land. The land isn't on my doorstep so I can only get there a handful of times per year.

On my last visit, I asked if he'd seen many about, no he said, however "this chap will" pointing to a guy with a shotgun just coming back into the farmyard after shooting the odd crow. On talking to this chap in question, he said he'd brought a mate in with a deer caliber rifle, and they had shot them all to protect the farmers trees. "Nice animals they were too he said, shot four one morning as they had never really been shot at before and just stood there" he showed me a few few pics of the animals they had taken. Not wanting to cause a scene I said I'll see you about and went for a walk about the farm with the binos, needless to say I saw nothing that evening or the next morning.

Over a brew with the farmer he said his brother had asked the chap to shoot the deer, fearing they would damage the saplings, the farmer was about as impressed as I was, but being a joint owner of the farm, there isn't alot I can say about it.

We all know that most farmers want everything off their land, but why do some people have to shoot everything they see? I thought it was about managing a species, and taking a sustainable surplus, or is it just me?????

feel for you mate,but there will be more somewhere,
    DONT START

Frustrating as it is, the guy may just feel that he is doing what the (other) landowner has asked in order to retain his shooting.

I have neighbouring landowners, one wanting all the deer shot and the other liking to see a few about.

SD Regular
    The land isn't on my doorstep so I can only get there a handful of times per year.
    That's the problem. To you it's leisure and pleasure. But to the farmer...with saplings...they are a pest. The farmer let you the stalking to, as you say. "keep the numbers in check".

You haven't as by your own admission you can only get there a handful of times a year and, when you have, you've not been able to shoot any in near over a year? You've left him no option.

I apologise if my reply is a bit of "tough love" but having been a landowner and known landowners in that situation, where the you've only been seen once in a blue moon, I'd have done pretty much exactly the same.

On a small bit of ground your managing nothing. If they have all been shot then the hole left will soon be filled.

+1 jagare too many stalkers do not understand this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    On a small bit of ground your managing nothing. If they have all been shot then the hole left will soon be filled.

Just like Charlie.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Sorry guys but if we all do the see deer shoot deer management policy they do not fill the hole very quickly
    Down here in the south west every bit of ground is (managed) so we don't have oodles of deer queuing up to repopulate the ground because some **** keeps flattening everything that sets foot on his permission
    even on a small piece of ground you should be sensible about what you take and leave

some people like to manage some people like to shoot everything.

Quote Originally Posted by SussexFallow View Post
    some people like to manage some people like to shoot everything.
    Hi Sussex fallow
    unfortunaly we seem to have more who want to exterminate than manage