Thread: More frustration

More frustration

Hi All,

A brief summary of my recent expedition to a nearby farmers land to take a buck.

I was out of the house at 03:20, just. I don't know how some people do it day in, day out. I'm up for work at 04:30 but that hour seems to make all the difference by lunch time. Anyway... I continue.

I walked for about 50 minutes accross uneven and varied terrain; pasture, moor, and some woodland. Scanning every opening whilst working to a favorite spot - we all have them.

I worked slowly, and methodically talking every care. I haven't yet been successful this year for a buck in this area - they're supprisingly edgy.

Theres a large earth mound/ hillock adjacent to approx 1k of woodland fenceline. I arrived there at about 04:20, lowered the bipod legs, picked up the bins for a peek over the top of a rise to find 4 tents surrounded by cans and litter! Not happy. the bu**ers had walked for a few miles from the forestry car park, down a track, and pitched in my friends fields. A right mess they left. I was metres from them and they had no Idea. Idiots. I left them to it... all too easy for things to turn bad... what with potentially 8 of them and 1 little old me with a .270 and a pocket of 130grains. Too much aggro for me. I called it in to the land owner when I got back to the vehicle.

Have any of you had experiences similar to this, Im sure that some have. How did you handle it?

Ah well dave there is always next time.

George

Ive had randoms wander around in front of me, completely unaware of me being there, have to be honest that sometimes ive just let them go as i cant be bothered with the agro, but if i do decide to approach, its always friendly and polite.. First impressions count and you can always change tack when you have found out theyre a complete w**ker rather than going in all guns blazing with the landowners relatives out walking pooch or checking the crop.. Ive done well out of being polite too, picked up a few bits of ground and also got some 'busybodies' to keep an eye on the land for unwanted poachers..

Ive also stepped out of hedges in front of young girls sneaking out of school for a ciggy.. their faces were a picture.. they move quickly too!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    Ive had randoms wander around in front of me, completely unaware of me being there, have to be honest that sometimes ive just let them go as i cant be bothered with the agro, but if i do decide to approach, its always friendly and polite.. First impressions count and you can always change tack when you have found out theyre a complete w**ker rather than going in all guns blazing with the landowners relatives out walking pooch or checking the crop.. Ive done well out of being polite too, picked up a few bits of ground and also got some 'busybodies' to keep an eye on the land for unwanted poachers..

Ive also stepped out of hedges in front of young girls sneaking out of school for a ciggy.. their faces were a picture.. they move quickly too!
    Ha, made me laugh a bit... You'll have to be careful - you'll be getting a name for yourself if you keep jumping out of the bushes in front of school girls!

The rubbish thing drives me mad too. I just can't get why you would visit a beautiful place and then cover it in your crap. Trouble is, I can't hold my tongue so I've taken to the subtle approach. I wander up to them and take the time of day and then say something like..."you should have seen this spot the other week...covered in rubbish, I just can't believe people would treat the countryside like that". It usually works.

But don't start me on the toilet paper and excrement thing.

I can't stand to see the countryside be disrespected by those who have no uncerdstanding about anything at all. What are these morons thinking?

Frax, I was tempted to give them a wake up call but managed to calm myself and leave them be. A friend of mine had spotted the vacant cars about a mile away and was mighty tempted to make their escape slightly more interesting. Luckily he also resisted! I hope this does not become a regular reoccurance for my landowner friends sake.