180g .308 too big a bang for roe?

Leopoldo

Recently traded in my .243 for a .308, and the only ammo I currently have is a box of 180g Winchester Super X. I have a lot of red on my ground, so I opted for a heavy load, though I haven't shot anything with it yet.
Is 180g overkill for roe?

Coincidently, I just got back from a gun shop where I nearly bought some of those for fallow and decided that 150g would be enough. Its about where you put it for both an instant kill and minimising meat damage - hence some stalkers who take me out don't like ballistic tips.
I'd still like to try them though - no such thing as too much gun!:stir: Incoming.....!

shoot 170gr soft point on everything from munty to reds because my rifle likes em and they don't muller everything after all speed never won the race !

I've shot roe with 180grn .308 bullets. Result, dead roe deer. They also have killed moose and boar. I now shoot 165grn for all my hunting. Why you may ask have i changed to a lighter bullet?
Well for no good reason really. I'm just funny like that.

Thanks for the contributions, folks. Sounds like I don't need to worry too much about making any mincemeat before it gets back to my kitchen table....:D

Shot a roe last Tuesday with 180gr partitions from a 30-06. Clean kill and lost only about a quarter of a shoulder. Big and slow way to go.

Recently traded in my .243 for a .308, and the only ammo I currently have is a box of 180g Winchester Super X. I have a lot of red on my ground, so I opted for a heavy load, though I haven't shot anything with it yet.
Is 180g overkill for roe?

its not the weight
its the velocity and bullet construction that are more important

you will be fine

180g out of a .308 is a hard hitting slower round so you shouldn't have hardly any damage compared to the lighter and faster billet out of a .243

Not too big at all,no such thing as overkill. So long as it kills the animal quickly and efficiently that is the point and purpose,sod anything else.
I use 30R Blaser for everything except foxes now.

If you are talking about the difference between a 308 & 243 it is about 1mm in diameter.

As a 243 is quicker it will normally do more damage, tip construction is what will conserve meat.

In my .308 I use 123 grn SP for Muntie and Roe, looking for a good stable neck shot it's a lovely round, does the job perfectly, but - shoot a muntie with em in the H&L expect only the back legs

for larger species Fallow and Reds I use 168 grn SP and find them perfect for H&L shots, straight down, that weight bullet does seem to be a good all rounder. - a good choice

good luck

phil

I use 180gr PSP (Pointed Soft Point) for all, to include fox. Seems to make them wish they had eaten dirt sooner. Little of no meat lose.

As most have said, you should not have any problem.

Big and slow just knocks them over. I have found though with 7mm on foxes that there not enough body mass to get much expansion and have had a few runners. But Roe is a much bigger animal and enough body mass to start expansion and transfer of energy.

I have read that big game calibres with tough non expanding bullets aren't that effective on small impala size antelope - just drills a hole straight through, but in a 308 provided you don't use a really tough big game bullet you should be fine on Roe

Back