Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elderly labrador (loose poo !)

Elderly labrador (loose poo !)

Tried changing the food for "Senior" stuff ,didn't work?
    Fed wet........NO
    fed dry.........NO
    Wormed etc..NO

Is it just the age of the old girl ? (12 at least?)

Fit and healthy ,happy as can be.

It just always ends up looking like a cow pat in the kennel .

Any ideas ?

Have you tried NOT feeding her, that is for a 24 hour period, so that if it's a bug in the stomach it has time to clear? It does sound as though it's been going on for a while looking at all the food alternatives you've tried though. Maybe time for a trip to the vet.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    Have you tried NOT feeding her, that is for a 24 hour period, so that if it's a bug in the stomach it has time to clear? It does sound as though it's been going on for a while looking at all the food alternatives you've tried though. Maybe time for a trip to the vet.
    Our old lab (now 13.5) was much the same a couple of weeks ago - after 24 hours starvation rations we switched her on to a mix of cooked chicken & potato and she's now back to normal.

We did take her to the vet first to ensure there was nothing more serious.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

This has been on going for a couple of years. Been to the vet and all clear .
    Tried the 24 hr thing on numerous occasions.....No different.

She is not suffering ,so it is more of an inconvenience when you swing the shovel .

Have you tried a dry food without any grain? This was a major turning point for me when I discovered how many dogs are intolerant of grain. It has transformed ours. I also mix it with raw stuff from natures menu and what comes out the other end is like golf balls.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Natures menu !! like it . (will try along those lines.)

Had the same with my old German Shepherd bitch,as last resort started adding a couple of table spoonfuls of pure pumpkin puree to her main meal:surprised that she seems to like taste & gobsmacked that it has worked(3 months now).Only stumbled on it through googling,supposedley regulates bowel movements & is equally good for constipation/diarrhoea.Anyhow spotted some in Tesco"Baking Buddy Pure Pumpkin Puree"@ 1.60 a tin,bought it,tried it and to my total surprise it has done the business.Downside is Tesco no longer have it in stock(seasonal:seems to end at Halloween)so I have sourced an alternative brand online @ 2.29 a tin.

Adding some psyllium husk works as well, used it with my old dog

Pumpkin puree or psyllium , another two to add to the wee black book ! Thank you.

Get her off dry food and onto a raw diet is my advice, for what it's worth. I feed Natural Instinct to my Lab' and OH's whippet, and both absolutely thrive on it. Their craps are tiny and solid too, as they're using ALL of whats in the food rather than crapping out the bulking agents and other cereals that dry food contains. I'll never feed a dry food again https://www.naturalinstinct.com/

There are other similar foods available, but this is what I have experience with. It's shipped FOC next-day delivery frozen, and we have a dedicated freezer so order a month at a time. Works out about a couple of quid a day to feed 3/4 kg between them both
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care