Stop Funding Hate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually it affects both sides and I wasn't primarily referring to Hereford. But OK.

Over the years I've held a neutrally balanced political view, there has been some good from both ends of the political spectrum. I don't know if it is because I am getting more mature or that the political left are committing effective political suicide but at this moment in time there is only one way of political life leaning to the right which is not prefect but better than the left in the current situation. The left had an opportunity to provide a solution to their problem and they failed to provide it. That is not good news for the person with a balanced political view.

Talking of newspapers, this link will give a light hearted view of the balance the newspapers hold. The Times in my opinion is the best paper but don't knock the Daily Mail, the sensationalist content is worth the read if you keep an open mind and balanced views.

+1. I know what you mean, debate and tolerance for other opinions seems to be dying. God help us.

This pressure group is campaigning to do exactly that. How do you "+1" an opinion which is exactly opposed to the gist of the rest of your comment?

Funny all your posts have links to facebook :scared:

I really don't think so - that will be the first link I've ever pointed in Favebooks direction - I'll guarantee if you check all my other posts they'll either be towards YouTube or Dauntsey Guns.

You're quite forthright but don't let yourself down by lying about my posts

This pressure group is campaigning to do exactly that. How do you "+1" an opinion which is exactly opposed to the gist of the rest of your comment?
I wasn't commenting on the Facebook load of cobblers, I was commenting on the statement that there seems to be no appetite for reasoned debate or acceptance of an opposing point of view.

I do feel that there has been a huge loss in civility recently. Not just on this forum but on several others I frequent. A large amount of it seems to date back to the referendum result. The insults bandied about, and in the main they originated from remainers, many of which seemed unable to accept the result. However disappointed you are democracy does that sometimes. I wish that I could reverse the Welsh Devolution Act but I can't and I have to live with it.

Although a lot of people didn't vote that doesn't mean if they had the result would have been any different, in fact considering the size of the sample the distribution would probably follow that of the sample.

It is like the rioting in Portland Oregon because Trump won, that was a result that I would not have wanted if I had lived in the US but it seems a bit difficult to understand the behaviour as the result happened within the rules.

David.

Last edited:
Indeed. However, that statement was hypocritically made by the original poster who was celebrating a campaign to suppress different views. Perhaps I should have taken him to task instead. Sorry.

Read his first post it was a vailed attempt to open a britex thread again don't give him the pleasure
I do feel that there has been a huge loss in civility recently. Not just on this forum but on several others I frequent. A large amount of it seems to date back to the referendum result. The insults bandied about, and in the main they originated from remainers, many of which seemed unable to accept the result. However disappointed you are democracy does that sometimes. I wish that I could reverse the Welsh Devolution Act but I can't and I have to live with it.

Although a lot of people didn't vote that doesn't mean if they had the result would have been any different, in fact considering the size of the sample the distribution would probably follow that of the sample.

It is like the rioting in Portland Oregon because Trump won, that was a result that I would not have wanted if I had lived in the US but it seems a bit difficult to understand the behaviour as the result happened within the rules.

David.

I bet George Orwell would have been surprised to see that Big Brother is actually everyone with a Facebook account who wants to follow the herd.

This kind of nonsense is killing free speech. "Oh you can't say that/read that/vote that way, or you are a racist/sexist/xenophobe/islamaphobe/homophobe/hoplaphobe" ;) (delete as applicable).
How very dare you I am not a Hoplophobe I have been called and own up to the rest and a few more besides

I don't read the tabloids or watch the news as you only get sensationalistic rubbish thrown at you and an attempt to persuade you to follow a certain path they want you to adopt.
I don't need persuasion from a third party, I make my own mind up, have my own thoughts, and other peoples interpretation of my thoughts as far as I am concerned are nothing to do with anybody, so I don't tell them.
This would I'm sure label me and put me into one of the silo members of society whose views will also upset or antagonise one of the other silos whose views differ.
Well tough, stop trying to persuade me to do something I have absolutely no interest in or impose your views on me.
I will think what I want to think.
This is not aimed at anybody on this forum but just a general rant.

this link[/URL] will give a light hearted view of the balance the newspapers hold. The Times in my opinion is the best paper but don't knock the Daily Mail, the sensationalist content is worth the read if you keep an open mind and balanced views.

Hacker: Don't tell me about the press. I know exactly who reads the papers. The Daily Mirror is read by people who think they run the country; The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country; The Timesis read by the people who actually do run the country; the Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country; the Financial Times is read by people who own the country; the Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country, and the Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is.
Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?
Bernard: Sun readers don't care who runs the country, as long as she's got big tits.

Indeed. However, that statement was hypocritically made by the original poster who was celebrating a campaign to suppress different views. Perhaps I should have taken him to task instead. Sorry.

Not a campaign to suppress different views although you can dress it up how you like - it's a campaign calling for corporate responsibility - newspapers need this kind of funding to keep going and it's a choice whether large companies spend their money in this direction or not. Many of you see past this rubbish so I'm not inferring any of the sort. Nothing will stop poisonous views that I don't agree with, they've always been there, however the genie is now well and truly out of the bottle.

Read his first post it was a vailed attempt to open a britex thread again don't give him the pleasure

You got me, ok - it was a little dig in that direction - don't worry, no more brexit from me

This kind of nonsense is killing free speech. "Oh you can't say that/read that/vote that way, or you are a racist/sexist/xenophobe/islamaphobe/homophobe/hoplaphobe" ;) (delete as applicable).

Sorry Tartan I have to delete hoplaphobe as I have never shot one. Slightly racist perhaps a little xenophobic, definitely still am the other three. "OUCH" withdraw sexist the wife was stood behind me.

:stir:

?.........

David.

I wish I could take credit for it, but I can't - the following blog link makes some very good points about the riots, or Brexit, or anywhere else there is disagreement. We all seem to have lost the ability to realize that just because someone disagrees with us, they are still very much like us. On this site, and others that I frequent, people, gather on the web to discuss and share something that they all find enjoyable. Except for a few low post count trolls that seem to show before every election just to cause dissension, I would wager that everyone on here could be civil and enjoy a stalk and then a pint.

here is the link http://blog.dilbert.com/post/153080448451/the-cognitive-dissonance-cluster-bomb

I wish I could take credit for it, but I can't - the following blog link makes some very good points about the riots, or Brexit, or anywhere else there is disagreement. We all seem to have lost the ability to realize that just because someone disagrees with us, they are still very much like us. On this site, and others that I frequent, people, gather on the web to discuss and share something that they all find enjoyable. Except for a few low post count trolls that seem to show before every election just to cause dissension, I would wager that everyone on here could be civil and enjoy a stalk and then a pint.

here is the link http://blog.dilbert.com/post/153080448451/the-cognitive-dissonance-cluster-bomb

probably the best post I've read on any of these threads. I wish everyone would consider that before posting. I daren't post anything at the moment for fear of rebuke from people I would otherwise have loved to spend a day with.

OK, the playground is closed, Gents please try to communicate in an adult fashion I am getting sick and tired of having to close threads because of the tone used by some members. Some present the argument that in a free society people can say what they want, its the way of the world and we should just accept it, well we won't. If you wish to comment on this site then please do so but, do it in a way that is acceptable, if you are unable to make your point without bad language and insulting people then don't post.

I should add that the easiest way for us to ensure that there no examples of the above is to ban the offenders.

:closed:

John

Beat me to it John. I was just about to impose a temporary ban on one or two. Why in gods name do people behind keyboards get so wound up? its beyond me at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back