Thread: Giant shark teeth washed up

Giant shark teeth washed up

I am chilling out in a little cabin, evacuated from mine two days ago due to fire. Finally found a WiFi signal at a coffee shop and got this, about things washed up by Hurricane Matthew.

It hit Charleston, SC with the outgoing tide, so not much flooding, but moved slowly north, so it hit Myrtle beach with its wind driven tidal surge coinciding with high tide. So it completely washed over the town and into the Intracoastal Waterway. Afterwards, people found cannon balls and parts of old ships washed up.

One couple found this fossil megladon tooth from a 40 to 70 foot prehistoric shark. They apparently used to come up the rivers to spawn, as scuba divers hunt for teeth in the mud of the Ashley River.

https://weather.com/news/news/virgin...ricane-matthew

They must find lots of them if they only value it at $100.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

That is a great find, watched a few documentaries on the megladon shark and it was some beast, wouldn't care if it was only worth $100 great find of a lifetime.

A bit off track but I enjoyed the Si Fi book called Meg many years ago. In fact I am off to check out where to find it...

When in Malta in 97 I was doing my dive instructor exams their was a guy who had a small one on a chain and a full size one on his desk in the dive centre.

Tim.243
    A lot of people often refer to the past, but don’t shoot in the present…..

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    That is a great find, watched a few documentaries on the megladon shark and it was some beast, wouldn't care if it was only worth $100 great find of a lifetime.
    Yes, I think $1,000 might be more like it. That is an enormous tooth.

I have one, a little more than 2 inches long, which I found after a big thunderstorm off the Grand Strand, when I was a boy.

There are places in Tennessee and Florida where you can dig and find prehistoric mammal fossils, like molar teeth and leg bones. Usually these were found around phosphate mines, salt mines and licks, peat bogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    A bit off track but I enjoyed the Si Fi book called Meg many years ago. In fact I am off to check out where to find it...

Tim.243
    It was a series of books, written by Steve Alten, Amazon have both Kindle and paperback versions.

Neil.