Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hull 1 Ounce (28 grammes) "Imperial Game" #4

SD Regular

Hull 1 Ounce (28 grammes) "Imperial Game" #4

I tried just over half a box of these on Saturday on pheasant at "normal" ranges of twenty-five to thirty yards. Using a gun choked, nominally, half choke in both barrels. Every bird of the four or five I hit came down but every bird I hit wasn't "dead in the air". Including one runner. I switched to 1 1/16 ounce #5 and both birds of the two I subsequently shot were "dead in the air".

OK not much of a test but enough to re-affirm that no matter how good the cartridge if there isn't enough choke in the gun the pattern will be inadequate. These are a new loading by Hull this season and I bought them as a hare at ten to fifteen yards cartridge...but tried the anyway on pheasant. So that's my limited sample review of this product.

So if you see them in the local gun shop and are tempted then my experience is that whilst it is a quality cartridge it isn't really unless you go to a tighter choke than half choke suitable for pheasant. A bit of an odd loading and a "niche" shot loading. But with open chokes on game birds is maybe not the best role for it.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 14-11-2016 at 18:25.

Interesting, was having a conversation along these lines yesterday. Lad shooting high birds (40 yards plus) has gone back to using more open chokes and 32g 5s from previously full and three quarter and 34 or 36g loads, and finding more clean kills, citing better patterns.
    I was shooting quarter choke with 24g 7s at mediocre birds with my 20 bore, and had proper neck back cartwheeling birds at 30 yards, but was more prone to missing anything closer in, with one bird depositing an embarrassing puff of feathers even though it was as high at least as others my fellow guns were shooting using standard 28g to 32g 12 bore loads. Everything was fibre wad (or should have been) as the estate stipulated no plastic.
    Last edited by Malxwal; 14-11-2016 at 15:28.

I use little else but 30g no 6 imperial game, imp cyl and 1/4 choke,
    john at YDS will confirm I killed a hen pheasant at 50yds dead in the air last year when with him,
    most things seem to come down dead,

is the number of shot and placement more telling?

Must admit I dont like Hull cartridges either. I like Gamebore, and particularly like Gamebore Black Gold - they hit hard even at a 28gm load. I like smaller rather than larger shot - denser pattern and more likely to hit vitals in the head and neck. I will happily use #7 shot - hits hard. With #4 shot, pattern will be somewhat open in places - chances are some of the birds were only hit with one or two pellets.

In terms of the different brands a lot may be due to slight velocity differences in a particular gun. It maybe I like the gamebore black gold because their velocity and with my timing I tend to hit birds in the head / neck, whereas another brand it maybe that I am hitting a touch further back.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 14-11-2016 at 18:13.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    I
    OK not much of a test but enough to re-affirm that no matter how good the cartridge if there isn't enough choke in the gun the pattern will be inadequate.
    It sounds as though your gun has plenty of choke for the use you describe.
    I would suggest that the reason the pattern is inadequate is that there aren't enough pellets in this rather eccentric choice of cartridge.
    1oz of 4s - 170 pellets
    1 1/16oz 4s 181 pellets
    I'm surprised that the extra 11 pellets made such a difference - one might examine the statistical significance of the data, perhaps?

What is clear is that 1oz of 6s (a sensible game load) contains 270 pellets. Even 1oz 5s gives us 220 pellets!

4s for pheasant-shooting indeed - whatever next?

SD Regular
    1 1/16oz 4s 181 pellets
    I'm surprised that the extra 11 pellets made such a difference - one might examine the statistical significance of the data, perhaps?
    Ah thanks DL. I've miswritten! I changed to 1 1/16 #5 which for some reason omitted that important "#5" in my original post. Thank you for your input. I've gone back and corrected my OP. So 212 #5 pellets in the 30 gramme load as against 170 #4 in the 28 gramme load.

I was a bit doubtful of this 1 ounce #4. That it even existed as a loading. so I called Hull and was told that, yes, it was new for the season and that one customer bought it by the pallet load. Although not what for. So I bought the two boxes the shop had next time I was in there. They have a forty yard proper all steel pattern plate for customers.

Maybe should have tried them on it? I will next time I am there!
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 14-11-2016 at 18:31.

That makes much more sense - I find 1oz or 1 1/16oz of 5s or 6s work well in my guns.

The ounce of 4s on the pattern-plate would be interesting and revealing - though the experience in the field has already revealed its deficiencies, I think.

Speaking of silly cartidges, I have a couple of boxes of Eley Fourlong BBs: that's about 30 pellets. I have no idea what this load was intended for.

SD Regular
    I have a couple of boxes of Eley Fourlong BBs: that's about 30 pellets. I have no idea what this load was intended for.
    I do!

They also loaded .410 with AAA letter shot! I was told the reason when I visited Eley, or as it was known then "the Kynoch" in Birmingham in the early 1980s.

Any guesses?

It was one of those throw away lines of "And you wouldn't believe that once we loaded XXX in a .410 and it was sold for......."
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 14-11-2016 at 18:57.

an ounce of #4 shot does seem to be a rather strange loading. I would be interested to know what they had in mind when they thought that one up.

It is however interesting that although there are an awful lot of competitively priced 6 and 7 shot cartridges out there as soon as you want #5 shot of the same weight the price jumps considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Must admit I dont like Hull cartridges either. I like Gamebore, and particularly like Gamebore Black Gold - they hit hard even at a 28gm load. I like smaller rather than larger shot - denser pattern and more likely to hit vitals in the head and neck. I will happily use #7 shot - hits hard. With #4 shot, pattern will be somewhat open in places - chances are some of the birds were only hit with one or two pellets.

In terms of the different brands a lot may be due to slight velocity differences in a particular gun. It maybe I like the gamebore black gold because their velocity and with my timing I tend to hit birds in the head / neck, whereas another brand it maybe that I am hitting a touch further back.
    Heym, the Black Gold range is loaded with european-sized shot so a no.7 would be closer to a no.6 & the 5's are closer to a 4, as I've found out to my cost in the same way as endfieldspares.