Draw scope cleaning

tuck1

I have an old, cosmetically battered Hertel draw scope here which, although it looks like it has been run over and then chewed by the dog, has a surprisingly good view through it. I had been recently trying to source an eyepiece to replace the cracked one, ( no joy yet, answers on a postcard please..) and I've heard that Glasgow binocular repair can no longer service these. I thought I might have a go myself at disassembly and cleaning but wouldn't know where to start really. Has anyone here done it, and if so could you share any wisdom?

many thanks

If these chaps are still in business:
binocular-repairs.com/contact-us/
Also:
opticalrepairs.com/binoculars_telescopes_repair_servicing.html
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Ross telescope which I clean regularly. The threads are extremely fine, so watch you don't cross thread them. For the lenses, clean with glass cleaner, then polish with a lint free cloth, otherwise static will make dustmstick to the lens. Use a dry lubricant on the threads, something like a light rub with a pencil will do. Good luck

I have a Ross telescope which I clean regularly. The threads are extremely fine, so watch you don't cross thread them. For the lenses, clean with glass cleaner, then polish with a lint free cloth, otherwise static will make dustmstick to the lens. Use a dry lubricant on the threads, something like a light rub with a pencil will do. Good luck

As above.

Thanks chaps, sounds good I'll have a go at it. Gerard, I spoke to the fella at Glasgow, due to the unexpected death of one of the engineers they are no longer servicing many of the items that they used to unfortunately.

Back