day dreaming...

Siggy

So, after a tedious day at the desk, I can't help imagine that I would rather be working as a deer manager/wildlife ranger. Now I stalk a lot for an amateur but I still want more, but, if it became a job - would this change?

So what do people think? Is being a full time deer manager with your own beat to pottle about the best job in the world or after a while does it become just another day at the grind stone? I can imagine taking clients out could be a constant embuggerance, but if you were just working to a management plan and didn't have to take clients out (all the time), but I can't think of anything else I'd rather do.

some one will probably burst my bubble with talk of inclement weather, pitiful salaries and stalker politics, but I'm still day dreaming and the thought of not having to cram stalking into the corners of my life appeals!

Siggy>

When you want to go out, its fun and things are good. When you have to go out, the enjoyment evaporates very quickly.
Close your eyes and imagine the ideal weather and conditions to stalking heaven. Now imagine wet, cold, blustery and nothing showing. If this is your heaven dream, then you will get on well.

I have been stalking the same bit of ground for 10 years now. Roe and Muntjac, nothing else. Stalking has been great, no pressure from the keeper as he liked to see them about and didn't like shooting them, but his boss put a bit of pressure on to keep it under control.

He retired this year and a new keeper is in. Pressure for numbers has stepped up and I am having to go up there more often but I am still loving it and enjoying having to find more time for stalking. Yes I am finding myself getting wet a bit more often but a morning or evening out on the deer doesn't loose it's magic and I'm almost grateful that I am having to spend more time on it.

The dog certainly appreciates it.

Never a chore ! Love it but can be frustrating if you don't get a bit of luck at times .

It turns into a way of life that affects your whole family. You work very anti social hours, you miss your kids growing up and all the stuff they do. You are out in all weather, good or bad. The pay isn't the best but you aren't in it for the money. You see some amazing stuff that other people will never ever see or dream about. If you want it go for it, go for it but remember it is not the fairytale job a lot of people imagine it to be.

Last edited:
As soon as your hobby becomes your job, you have lost your hobby! Then, like any job, it becomes a chore!
I've had jobs that some people dream of, but after a while the gloss comes off and it gets rather dull!
What will you dream of when sitting up a frozen high seat for the 5th morning in a row at first light when everyone else is tucked up warm?
Keep it at a sensible level or you lose your hobby/family as your life becomes consumed!:scared:
MS

I have a similar thing going on as I am in the fortunate position of being paid for fox shooting which is great, however 3/4 nights a week all through January February and March becomes a bit of a chore, don't get me wrong I still enjoy it and know lots would give there right arm to get paid for shooting but as others have said when it becomes paid work things change.
Bearing in mind I still have to get up to go to work each morning.

As soon as your hobby becomes your job, you have lost your hobby! Then, like any job, it becomes a chore!
I've had jobs that some people dream of, but after a while the gloss comes off and it gets rather dull!
What will you dream of when sitting up a frozen high seat for the 5th morning in a row at first light when everyone else is tucked up warm?
Keep it at a sensible level or you lose your hobby/family as your life becomes consumed!:scared:
MS

That is absolutely true IMO, I was a commercial pilot for years, a dream job to some, but absolutely NOT in reality

Siggy,

The grass may appear greener on the other side but there again you don't have to cut the grass over there. If you switch a hobby for a job then you need to be careful, what will you do to relax from the pressures and stresses of work? I'm not saying don't go for it, just a reality check before you leave a job that if all goes wrong you may not be able to return to and loose the security.

ATB 243 Stalker.

Well my hobby has always been my job, and vice versa. A way of life.

I subscribe to the following theory:
"All jobs contain an element of fun. Once you can identify that element of fun it's no longer work, it's a game!"

(At least, that's what I tell myself when I'm scraping up cow**** in the dark and ****ing rain on a freezing cold winter morning....:rolleyes:)

hanks all for the advice from the other side of the fence - it's really appreciated.

I'm of the opinion that every job has it's elements of crud, so you might as well do a job you are passionate about, but i was wondering what the nature of the crud was like on the over side of the fence this feedback from people at the coalface is a great reality check. Impact on the family, sleep deprivation, the elements and salary appear to be the main issues, and its the first one that is holding me back the most. Well that and the opportunity!

thanks again,

Siggy>

Back