Lightweight Smock Advice

Andy7mm

I am looking a bit of advice, I am in the market for a lightweight windproof and waterproof (showerproof would do but not preferred) smock with a large front "map" pocket.

The issue I have is that most of the smocks I find are lightweight but very warm that is not what i am looking for, this is to be used with layers depending on the activity. Or they are the right level of warmth and don't have the big pocket.

I am currently using a fleece type jacket that works great but I would really like the big front pocket.

I don't mind about the length and am looking for non camo if available.

thanks for the advice

Andy7mm

Mil Surplus windproof smock - they are shower proof with some of Diver Dave's spray on waterproofing and if it gets really wet outside you can wear a goretex layer under them, the key is the waterproof layer goes under the smock. Even something like a Regatta "Pack It Jacket" makes a suitable waterproof layer though surplus jackets are available as well. They do come up in colours other than cammo with olive green being available here and there. As a jacket you will not beat them.

as flytie says I use this one and works a treat you don't need much gear on to stay warm either, atb wayne

Hilltrek would modify one of their range to your spec. I had them put a large game pocket on the back of my heavyweight smock. They're used to these sort of requests from stalkers, gameys etc.

I would have suggested a Snowsled Ventile smock. I have had one for 20 years and still going strong albeit around the edges.

I replaced it for mountain use with a Bergans Morgedal. It's great, but the front pouch does mean you can't open it up as much as I would like. The one I have is red, but may we'll get a green one for stalking with. It's a tightly woven Ventile type cotton and keeps out the weather but breathes well. If it had side zips it would be even better and that would not be a hard job to do. https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/869-Bergans-Morgedal-Backcountry-Anorak-Dark-Khaki/

The Fjallraven smocks look really good, but very expensive and not that well made - ihad old pair of Vida trousers - brilliant, but now that they are a mainstream brand quality seems to have fallen off.

I also have a Deer hunter bonded fleece smock which I use quite a bit. Certainly keeps the wind and rain out, but you tend to sweat in it. Not for active use.

I use a fortis smock great two large pockets at the front but if i buy another i would want 2 side pockets as well . Just got the trousers to match . Good kit

there are a number of really lightweight windproof smocks on the market - Paramo Feura, Arktis, Buffalo, Helikon Windrunner etc.. - the problem you're going to have with them is that, in stalking/shooting/beating terms, they are very fragile.

i've got all of them except the Buffalo, and while the Paramo and the Helikon are my favourites for hillwalking where i wear them in preference to pretty much everything else, what are not built for is crawling through vegetation. the Paramo Feura might last a day of stalking through heather, but the Helikon would be unlikely to last an hour...

for shooting etc.. i'd echo whats been written above: get an Army surplus windproof smock, you'll get a new one for £30 or so, lots of pockets, very robust, very windproof, showerproof, easy to mend, and very quick drying.

I think Country Covers made/stocked what you are looking for.

D
Avoid at all costs, crap product, crap people to deal with, I'll give you the number of the guy from trading standards I dealt with who got me a refund after two years of lies and more from them.......oh, don't lose you receipt.

Back