Thread: Steyr Mannlicher in .223

Steyr Mannlicher in .223

I have been offered the above rifle for nowt, I havent seen it and the bloke that offered it to me says it is being sent to him from a guest that no longer requires it and he has no need for it either so is willing to pass it my way.

My question is that it apparently has a fluted barrel, was this specific to a certain model?

Its a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question but you dont see many of them fluted.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post
    I have been offered the above rifle for nowt, I havent seen it and the bloke that offered it to me says it is being sent to him from a guest that no longer requires it and he has no need for it either so is willing to pass it my way.

My question is that it apparently has a fluted barrel, was this specific to a certain model?

Its a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question but you dont see many of them fluted.
    May be wrong but I think the scout comes with fluted barrel in 223.

http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/jagdwaffen/pro-varmint/

http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/jagdwaffen/scout/
    Last edited by bambislayer; 06-07-2010 at 16:56.

Dan

I shot with them years ago. If it is one of the older models (assuming it is and hence the reason for it being offered as a gift), the barrel is not fluted, it has a spiral effect (I think caused during the forging process) running the length of the barrel. I know from friends that are riflesmiths and build custom rifles or fit new barrels, that Mannlichers are a pain to work on because of the locking mechanism of the bolt and from memory, Calum Ferguson at Precision Rifles still charges extra for this work on these rifles.

If it is the basic original model as opposed to a luxus a friend of mine still shoots with his fathers old one which was a carbine barrelled model. Fantastic light and pointable gun for woodland stalking of roe here in Scotland.

Hey, it's free!!!!!

If it is an older rifle it could be one like I have seen before, this one had stippleing rather than chequering and was a really nice rifle. JC

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    If it is a Scout I will not have it.

Bloody awful things, ive known 2 people with Scounts in .270, both were returned after several visits to gunsmiths.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

they dont do a scout in 270 as i know of

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gliballs View Post
    If it is a Scout I will not have it.

Bloody awful things, ive known 2 people with Scounts in .270, both were returned after several visits to gunsmiths.
    I don't like them either. [awaiting flack from scout owners]

Hopefully it'll be a model m or the 223 equivalent, I had one in 222 years ago, great wee rifle, I wish I never got rid of it, just the right weight for carrying in jul, aug amoungst the Meoble hills

Don't think the scout would have been 270 more than likely a 308

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    I don't like them either. [awaiting flack from scout owners]

Hopefully it'll be a model m or the 223 equivalent, I had one in 222 years ago, great wee rifle, I wish I never got rid of it, just the right weight for carrying in jul, aug amoungst the Meoble hills

Don't think the scout would have been 270 more than likely a 308
    Tis maybe my mistake, it was the SNH rifles on Rum, didnt last 2 min.

Looking to downsize a little, we spend a while on the hill at the fox's in May/June and lumping the .270 about gets a bit uncomfy. A nice little setup will be better
    Last edited by Dan Gliballs; 06-07-2010 at 20:04.

To be fair, if it is a Scout at least it will be the only one that I have ever seen offered at its true value! (hiding behind Bambislayer!) JC