Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pointing Griffon

Pointing Griffon

Hi.
    Interested to know if anyone has any experience of this breed on here?
    Anyone know of any used on deer?

I am looking for my next dog and they look like a good candidate.
    I like GWP and may still go down that road but think a Griffon might be less of a handful.
    I have never been around either breed so have no first hand experience.
    I currently have a Vizsla and love her. She is a great all round dog and works well on deer but they are a little soft.

Briar pointing a phesant this morning.

Beautiful dog. There was a guy local to me had one. He could not get it off point I seriously considered crossing my WHV to one. (Before anyone says mongrel, I have a background in crossing breeds to produce working dogs for the police, i'm quite successful at it).

Ian

Yes, she was stuck on that cock pheasant this morning, had to put my hand on her bum to get her to flush.

I often tell people my WHV is half goat and half dog. They believe me

Ian

griffons are awesome for flushing boar... and deer... and foxes....

I know a few people that have them, mostly french griffons. but we use them differently from what your used to in GB. Though I am training myself to stalk deer I may eventually need to train something differently...

what I can confirm is they have a great nose. an amazing tracking ability, which is why we use them for boar.

as for the mongrel comment.. nothing wrong with mongrels... my best dogs were all mongrels one of them being a purebred mongrel taken off a city street as a puppy... bestest dog ever!
    Last edited by ileso; 16-11-2016 at 18:53.

Quote Originally Posted by ileso View Post
    griffons are awesome for flushing boar... and deer... and foxes....

I know a few people that have them, mostly french griffons. but we use them differently from what your used to in GB. Though I am training myself to stalk deer I may eventually need to train something differently...

what I can confirm is they have a great nose. an amazing tracking ability, which is why we use them for boar.

as for the mongrel comment.. nothing wrong with mongrels... my best dogs were all mongrels one of them being a purebred mongrel taken off a city street as a puppy... bestest dog ever!
    Not the same breed. The griffons you talk about are hounds. This is a pointing dog. The breed is created/selected by Karel Eduard Korthals, a dutch shooting and dog man. They are very popular in France. An improved version of the GWP. Faster, easier less tiring galop, excellent nose and good pointer. The selection is done more in his work before the shot as oposed to the GWP.
    Great woodcock dog, but also works well in beet , heather, ......
    His coat needs more work than a GWP .

I've seen a few run in FT's quite liked the look of them, the few i've seen ran very well too.

There was a lad from way down south had 5 or 6 and had a tranny van really well kitted out for them, looked the dogs danglies.
    I'm meaning to sort thru some paper work/crap if any of the FT programmes pop up i'l pm u his name/kennel name, as its the sort of crap i usually save for no reason

I think there is 2 different breed clubs/societies in UK for them, althou i have vague recollection the 2 don't really get on with each other, but i may be wrong
    If u conntacted the breed clubs prob ind them throu KC should be able to help u

If u read the history behind the breed quite an intresting story and just how quick he created them and had them breeding pure in around 30yrs

I have one, my brother has one, my old man has three.

If you're considering breeds, take a look at the Slovak.

I'm obviously biased but think they're a good compromise......mine's got a fantastic nose and point and is pretty hard wired.

Always happy to chew the fat about the breed...drop me a pm if interested.

Regards, Rob.

what are they like to train? As a dog for pheasant shooting/rough shooting, i imagine they'd be pretty good?