Anywhere that does phosphating in the UK (TRG42)

C h r i s

I have a TRG42 .338 that went off to Finland to have a new barrel installed, at great expense. I wanted to keep the rifle looking original, with a phosphate finish. Anyway, the rifle eventually arrived back, but the quality of the finish on the barrel leaves a lot to be desired. Long scratches in the phosphating down one side, quite light in colour compared to the receiver, spots that look like they've been polished with steel wool (shiny areas where you almost see through the phosphating). I can only assume that its been lying around on a spares shelf for a while, maybe picked up some rust that they've tried to clean off.

Anyway, its now back with GMK, who have today reported that finish issues like this are fairly normal for a phosphate finish (utter rubbish), however they are sending pics to the factory and will await their comments. Bearing in mind that this is the same factory that was happy to ship the thing out in the first place, I can see where this is leading.

Assuming I get no support from GMK or Sako, does anyone know of a gunsmith in the UK that does phosphating? I've tried contacting non gunsmith metal treatment firms, but none were interested.

Would prefer to avoid Cerakote, if I wanted this I wouldn't have bothered with the factory original barrel.

Cheers,

Chris

Frustrating as it is dealing with issues like this, I'd kick GMK until they do the right thing - which I am confident they will do if kicked in the right place. This is what consumer protection legislation is for.

Certainly doesn't look like Sako promotional photos. Surely that's unfinished. It looks like it came from Screwfix for a tenner. Good luck with it.

Diy.

Get some phosphoric acid, distilled water, manganese dioxide, wire wool.

Plenty of instructional vids on YouTube.

I've done several parts in my time, as everything, preparation is key. But, it is easy to do with minimal gear.

One thing, you'll want to get the action done too, matching phosphating is nigh on impossible

f3857eddf73905dbc52cd9293f044a6b.jpg

Crap picture, but its a previously rusty tikka 595 bolt. First attempt, but thats zinc phosphated, so more grey than manganese phosphated.

I would be inclined to paint it. I have a spare new 308 barrel for my TRG and it's no different to your example.

I have done, but like I said earlier, GMK are already making sounds along the line of 'that's normal'...... so I'm seeing if I have other options just in case they refuse to sort it.

Well it's not 'normal'.

In my near sixty years, before the self loading rifle ban, before the pistol ban, I saw dozens, scores, maybe close on one hundred plus USA military weapons. Pistols, rifles, carbines. All phosphated. In wartime, when speed was important, not 'show room quality'. Yet on all, to a one, the phosphate was even, thick, no bright spots and variously (but uniform to each weapon..not piebald or skewbald) grey or green.

So if in the haste of war, mass production, unskilled recruited labour, in concerns not traditionaly gunmakers...IBM, Remington-Rand, Rock-Ola, Singer and Etc.,...so not Colt, Winchester, Savage-Stevens, Smith & Wesson (yet they phosphated too aka 'parkerized' and did it right) but firms with no history of making weapons. Yet, if they could get it right then SAKO has no excuse. It's total bunkum. You are welcome to 'lift' my reply here in your response to GMK.

So GMK are talking tripe.

It's a poor finish because of poor preparation initially and/or poor after care. No other reason. Not 'normal' unless 'normal' is a synonym for poor workmanship and slipshod working practices.

Last edited:
I have done, but like I said earlier, GMK are already making sounds along the line of 'that's normal'...... so I'm seeing if I have other options just in case they refuse to sort it.

Your "other options" should include first of all the legal options. A well-phrased formal letter should concentrate their minds.
VW wouldn't attempt to fool you into accepting a new car with blotchy, thin and scratched paint. Sako should view itself as closer to VW than Trabant.

Back