Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer farming information and advice

Deer farming information and advice

The pipe dream beckons!

Is there anyone in the SW who runs or has run a deer farm (I'm thinking Fallow) and who would be willing to meet up for a beer and a chat to chew over thoughts and ideas about my setting up a small scale, hobby, deer farm of < 50 beasts. Happy to travel and buy beer.

Basically, I'd like to hear about legalities, logisitics and problems or running a small herd, and processing the meat myself to sell.

Alternatively if anyone is further afield and can offer advice, that would be much appreciated. I've looked over various web resources (but may have missed some) and read through Gunter Reinken's excellent book, but direct experience is often more useful.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamar View Post
    The pipe dream beckons!

Is there anyone in the SW who runs or has run a deer farm (I'm thinking Fallow) and who would be willing to meet up for a beer and a chat to chew over thoughts and ideas about my setting up a small scale, hobby, deer farm of < 50 beasts. Happy to travel and buy beer.

Basically, I'd like to hear about legalities, logisitics and problems or running a small herd, and processing the meat myself to sell.

Alternatively if anyone is further afield and can offer advice, that would be much appreciated. I've looked over various web resources (but may have missed some) and read through Gunter Reinken's excellent book, but direct experience is often more useful.

Thanks.
    There are a few in Devon that are members on here so you should be able to get some help. I have a few, and my first instinct is to say that its not a short to medium term profit making scheme. This is especially the case if you are designated a farm which will require quite expensive handling facilities. As a hobby it is brilliant and I would recommend it. As a business I would probably not.

Thanks Howa. I'm not looking to make profits on this and would treat it more as a hobby, but would like to break even(ish). Consequently, it would be the park rather than the farm route I'd likely pursue. Glad to hear you enjoy the hobby side of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamar View Post
    Thanks Howa. I'm not looking to make profits on this and would treat it more as a hobby, but would like to break even(ish). Consequently, it would be the park rather than the farm route I'd likely pursue. Glad to hear you enjoy the hobby side of it!
    In which case you will enjoy it. I would suggest reds rather than fallow but if its a hobby, its what you want to spend your time looking at that matters. I absolutely love the time I spend with my herd. Fencing is expensive mind.

I am in the midlands and am very happy to show you around and chat about the issues if you would like. Happy to take a phone call too.
    Last edited by howa243; 16-11-2016 at 16:08.

There is another member on here with direct experience of this that I'm aware of but he is not local to you I'm afraid.
    Let's see if he chimes up, I'll give him a push?

Quote Originally Posted by eldon View Post
    There is another member on here with direct experience of this that I'm aware of but he is not local to you I'm afraid.
    Let's see if he chimes up, I'll give him a push?
    And me ,sure you could set him on the right track John.

Thanks to the pushers! Howa, YHPM.

Tamar,
    There was a chap called I think Peter Kent Hatherleigh way who did/ does farm Fallow, not sure if he is still doing it.

I don't know if Jelen are on here, but they specialse in deer farms. Look them up.

Not in your area but google scottish venison parnership and get Dick Playfairs contact detai. The site has lots of case studies on farming Reds but i am sure Dick would be happy to chat