Shooting sticks

Geomam

Thinking of buying new shooting sticks I had a loan of a set of viper flex thought they were great bit pricey does anyone use the Seeland quad sticks would they be as good as the viper little over half the price

I have the viper-flex 'Journey', they're unsurpassed as far as I'm concerned, but unless you need them to pack down small for travel then maybe the seeland ones will do just the same job...?

4 green garden canes and 4 m8 nuts and blots and 15mins equals quad sticks for under £20

Been making my own quad sticks like this for 10years.

I think it boils down too those who can go in the shed, think it through, work it out and can actually be bothered to make a set.

My home made B&Q sticks stand in @ £12.00 and I can replace any one of the 4 legs for £3.00 or make a new set in 1/2 an hour including drinking a mug of tea....

Break a £100.00 set and you will be very ****ed off.....

If you don't have a junior hacksaw, sharpie pen, 5mm drill 4 5mm nuts and bolts and a length of cord then

hit the buy it know button.

Tim.243

I've got the Seeland quad sticks. I've only had them a couple of months, but they seem quite sturdy and stable. Maybe not so adjustable as the Viper Flex, but apart from that I can't knock them.

I use the Seeland quad sticks too. In general I think they're very good - only thing I would say is that if you knock them eg with your boot, they do make a slight rattle, and I haven't worked out what causes it. I used the homemade sticks for a while, but prefer the Seeland front support being a horizontal rest, allowing you to move the rifle left and right without moving the whole thing. They're well made and v good for the price.

For the last year or so I have been leaving my sticks in the car. I am brining on a puppy and to be honest dealing with leads and sticks is just too much faff. Instead I have been using planted sticks - trees, fence posts, walls etc. My focus has been the hound, achieving culls somewhat secondary. There have been a few opportunities where I could have had a shot but steadying the dog etc has taken precidence. I don't think I have missed the sticks - I know my ground and move from rest to rest. I have also shot a couple just sitting with elbows resting on knees. Admittedly the ground is well wooded and ranges are short.

Sticks are definately useful, but pleased that I don't feel reliant upon them.

For the last year or so I have been leaving my sticks in the car. I am brining on a puppy and to be honest dealing with leads and sticks is just too much faff. Instead I have been using planted sticks - trees, fence posts, walls etc. My focus has been the hound, achieving culls somewhat secondary. There have been a few opportunities where I could have had a shot but steadying the dog etc has taken precidence. I don't think I have missed the sticks - I know my ground and move from rest to rest. I have also shot a couple just sitting with elbows resting on knees. Admittedly the ground is well wooded and ranges are short.

Sticks are definately useful, but pleased that I don't feel reliant upon them.

+1 for this. Yes, sticks are great & I have loads of sets....
I've a modified set of sticks from Limlus & they're extremely stable to shoot from but I just loath having to lug them around. I tend to take a set of telescopic Knobloch sticks collapsed & slung across my back, leaving my hands free for climbing, bino's etc. Most of my shots are taken sitting so collapsed they are perfect for that & extended & standing with my back against a tree I would still shoot to 150 yards.

Last edited:
Make your own or dare I say buy a set of mine :)
several sets have recently gone over to Ireland, particularly around the cork area for some reason.
theres a link to mine in my signature strip
Tony

The other problem with Aluminium sticks is that they are freezing in winter time. I tend not to bother with gloves, instead use my pockets, but having to carry a pair of sticks is just painful. Wood would be better. McKenzie, what a superb idea - I always have a length of rope in my pocket for dragging beasts. No it will have additional use in carry my sticks. I am like you, if I need sticks I am much more stable sitting or kneeling.

I've gone off using quad sticks (admittedly a green bean-stick pair that I made up) because they were a faff to carry and to deploy, unless you weren't rushed for time. Also, pretty annoying to set up accurately for anything other than a stationary target as there is very little room for tracking. Subsequently, I purchased a Vangaurd Quest Tu62 tripod which is quick to deploy, light, silent (foam handles) and can support a heavy rifle with ease and track movement. It can also be used as a handy monopod or bipod...take your pick. I'd be confident with 200yd shots using it. Not as rock-steady as a good quad-stick, but steady enough. Wouldn't go out without it now.

I have Tony's sticks , don't find carrying them a pain use the, as a walking stick and when glassing I just hold them out a bit ( still as one) & use as a rest for binos .
Found them really good

Paul

Make your own or dare I say buy a set of mine :)
several sets have recently gone over to Ireland, particularly around the cork area for some reason.
theres a link to mine in my signature strip
Tony

+1 here ! I've converted many in the Devon area now. Wouldn't use any thing else as I either shoot standing or prone.

Back