Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What wheel for sharpening a knife with a bench grinder

What wheel for sharpening a knife with a bench grinder

Title says it all really, I have a 5 inch bench grinder and gonna use it for sharpening as I can't be bothered with lansky systems etc. The wheel that is on there is rough as a rough thing can be and definitely not suitable.
    I am guessing I want something with a fine grit.

comments?
    Last edited by The Singing Stalker; 17-11-2016 at 13:41.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

There is a video on YouTube where a guy uses an MDF disc and loads I with polishing compound.
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    Title says it all really, I have a 5 inch bench grinder and gonna use it for sharpening as I can be bothered with lansky systems etc. The wheel that is on there is rough as a rough thing can be and definitely not suitable.
    I am hues sing I want something with a fine grit.

comments?
    Very difficult to use a bench grinder for edge tool sharpening. Too fast, too many feet per second, the thin edge can get too hot and draw the temper.

Best would be something like an old water trough whetstone. An oil fed flat stone for plane blades and wood chisels would also work well.

I have used a speed controller to slow down an angle grinder/sander (brushed motor) and that can sharpen edge tools quickly, but the overheating risk is still there...even with frequent dips in a quench tub.

You are only sharpening and not regrinding, so do not need to remove a lot of metal which is what the bench grinder is designed to do.

I tend to use a DMT diafold (red and blue) folding diamond hand file to get the edge and either a leather strop or polishing spindle and mop for final finish.

I would advise that a polishing nose, mop and some of the superb Menzerna P175 Yellow Super Finish from the polishing shop.co.uk would be the best use for your 5" grinder.

Alan
    Last edited by Alantoo; 17-11-2016 at 01:20.

As your in hants speak to emberleaf at Chichester they will advice what's best, once you have your angles a lansky should be easy, sell the grinder is my best advice.

I got one of these http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/power-tools/scheppach-tiger2000s-sharpening-and-honing-system-240v?istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=xtlamqxmpq&istBid=tztw&_$ja =tsid:35522|cid:627838503|agid:32471678884|tid:aud-271742666644:pla-224057460724|crid:112784844724|nw:g|rnd:4337954834 898980492|dvc:m|adp:1o1&gclid=Cj0KEQiAx7XBBRCdyNOw 6PLHrYABEiQAJtyEQ3WIDeI1YtSgn_VaZQo02M2c5cD2jfe_ih CxMUCJPr4aAmCq8P8HAQ or at least the Clarke version. The stone is still a little rough so best on more agricultural blades but with the leather stropping wheel it does give knives a good sharp blade. You could get a finer grit wheel for it if you wanted the edge to be really fine.

Sharpening knives was never high on my skills list - need all the help I can get. Settled for the Lansky 4 ceramic rod Crock Box and an Emberleaf field paddle strop. The pre drilled holes in the Crock Box means you cannot get the angles wrong. As long as you have a reasonable edge on a knife, half dozen passes on the ceremic rods and a finish on the strop means even I can get/maintain a super sharp edge on all my knives.

Never been into super sharp knives, but a very usable edge can be done with a belt sander,
    The vibrating multi tools are even better, i was pleasantly surprised when i used on

Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post

comments?
    Stick with the wheel you have, it will quickly wreck your blade and save time over wrecking it with a finer wheel.

Neil.

As Alan has already said, do not use a bench grinder to sharpen your knife. The only knives you should sharpen with a bench grinder are those that you want ruined (or someone else's )

Why not use a simple water cooled grinder, my ex wife had a lovely one which she used when making stained glass windows, ran quite slow and fine stone wheel suitable google search should turn one up.

D