6.5x47

rwade545

As my .22-250 nears the end of its barrel life I have decided to rebarrel my sako 75. Decided on 6.5x47 as I home load. What are people's opinions on barrel twist/length, thinking of using 130-140 heads. Would 1:8 twist and 22-24" be most people's choice?
What dies do people recommend? I use rcbs compatition for my .308.
Cheers

you may want to consider the creedmoor as well?

I get 2700 fps from factory 140grain ammo out of my 20" tube

mine liked the 123 Amax and 120's Nos bt , in factory none exp the 139 worked very well mine is on its way to being sold but if I had a use for it its a cal that just fits the bill for any deer /fox

I have been shooting 6.5 Lapua for about 5 years now. Loves 120 and 123. Have never been able to persuade it to shoot 140's, not tried the 129's. It's a 26" 1"8 twist barrel and if I do my bit will shoot 120 Nos BT and 100 Barnes TTSX well inside 0.5 MOA. Fansastic little round.

100 TTSX @ 3260 is now my go to load. The speed gives you a very flat trajectory and the Barnes bullet construction ensures you don't do excessive meat damage. Use it for Muntjac to Fallow and Red and Sika hinds. For the bigger Stags and extended ranges on the hill I have moved up to 280AI as the Lapua is a tad underpowered for that job in my opinion, although I'm sure others will disagree.

If you want to run the heavier bullets I would do a bit more work on twist. I think most of the Lapua's have been built 1:8 and I think they may benefit from twisting a bit faster for the 140's as few people seem to be able to shoot them accurately most coming back to a 120 weight for best accuracy.

Hope that helps.

I have been shooting 6.5 Lapua for about 5 years now. Loves 120 and 123. Have never been able to persuade it to shoot 140's, not tried the 129's. It's a 26" 1"8 twist barrel and if I do my bit will shoot 120 Nos BT and 100 Barnes TTSX well inside 0.5 MOA. Fansastic little round.

100 TTSX @ 3260 is now my go to load. The speed gives you a very flat trajectory and the Barnes bullet construction ensures you don't do excessive meat damage. Use it for Muntjac to Fallow and Red and Sika hinds. For the bigger Stags and extended ranges on the hill I have moved up to 280AI as the Lapua is a tad underpowered for that job in my opinion, although I'm sure others will disagree.

If you want to run the heavier bullets I would do a bit more work on twist. I think most of the Lapua's have been built 1:8 and I think they may benefit from twisting a bit faster for the 140's as few people seem to be able to shoot them accurately most coming back to a 120 weight for best accuracy.

Hope that helps.

strange , I've heard that about the 47 but both my 260 and creedmoor shot the 140 amax with a 1-8 tube?

A 1 in 8-inch twist rate is fine for most 140gn 6.5s. There are two issues with the 6.5X47L and 136-142gn bullets. Unless you ask the rifle builder to throat the chamber for these bullets, they normally arrive with enough freebore for 120-130gn bullets, but insufficient for the longer models. That gives COALS around 2.650-2.700". If the rifle is set up the 'heavies', COALs with the bullet just off the lands are in the 2.795-2.810" range.

With longer FB set-ups, some people have had very good range results with the cartridge and 140s used in long-range competition, but others have failed to make them work no matter what they try. The size of the cartridge / case capacity seems to see it ideally suited to 123-130gn bullets and so heavier models become a bit of a lottery. I know one or two people with rifles in the calibre who started out insisting on 140s, but went for the shorter FB and shoot the 120gn Scenar L or 123gn Scenar now after rebarrelling.

The Creedmoor chamber was designed by Dave Kiff at PT&G and Hornady's Chief Engineer Dave Emery around the 140gn AMAX at exactly 2.800" COAL and this weight / length of bullet is optimal for the cartridge. It will perform very well with some lighter bullets too, but unlike the 6.5X47L, I regard the 130-143gn bullets as the default choice for this cartridge.

Thank you Laurie, that could help explain it. I measure to Ogive, but that measurement is 2.124 touching the lands. The Barnes like a bit of jump for accuracy so I only load to 2.047. working it out it looks like that would be about 2.675 if touching the lands so an extra .125 FB to get it out to 2.800 might make all the difference. Perhaps something to try when the barrel is getting a bit worn.

thats some thing to consider, have the option of normal chamber, 60thou or 100 thou free bore for longer heavier heads. Will have to discuss this when it comes to having it done.

I have had the luxury of owning a few of the now, and my buddies also shoot this in different fb.
I run 142gr Sierra with great success out to and beyond 1200 yards.
Its my do it all rifle for rabbit fox and deer
My varget load is very similar to my 22-250 loads in terms of powder.

I choose 6.5lap for my deer gun is 1in 8 16.5" barrel and I use SGK 140 and trying 130 as well plenty good for up to 700yards be for it drops out of supersonic .

Back