Thread: Federal factory Moly coating : 6.5x55

Federal factory Moly coating : 6.5x55

I have just had to buy a bulk order of Federal in 6.5 Swede and only found out when I got home that they had coated heads.
    I can see from some old posts that this has happened before, but are Federal now producing all of their Swede ammunition with Moly coated bullets ?

I have home loaded for years and have only just used up my old stock of factory in that caliber. The bullets do not look like SGK - as they used to be - and I was wondering if anyone has pulled a head to see what they are.

The packaging cast no light on its heritage, so before I do it , maybe someone else has.

If you have shot them have you noticed and degree of fouling increase with the coating.

Ive used moly coated match bullets in my 308 didn't notice any difference at all

It should be plainly labeled "MOLY COATED". I'd send this dark horse back to the corral.~Muir

I bought a box recently having previously used the same round (same product code 6555B) with good results. I was surprised too to find the bullets moly coated. Haven't used them on deer but accuracy was good (as per the original), and over a V3 chrono the average velocity was around 40fps greater than the uncoated. I've still got an original empty box and just compared them. Both boxes are identical apart from a tiny addition on the rear of the new indicating the moly coating. Assuming the same loading, the new round is certainly slightly quicker (in my rifle at least).

I haven't got round to trying them yet as I still had some home load left for the range.
    The question that begs to be answered is , " why only 6.5 swede ?"
    I am apprehensive in using them as I am just a fuddy duddy when it comes to something out of the ordinary. I like to shoot different weights in my rifle, which is a Blaser ( .....................!)
    If I go down the route of using the black (well, gray realy) stuff, will it reflect when I use non coated bullets in the same rifle?
    Last edited by puntgunner; 23-11-2016 at 15:27. Reason: poor spelling