.308 Mauser M12 twist rate

Cawdor118

As above, can anyone inform me of the M12 extreme twist rate? I can't find it on their website.

Cheers

I never thought about that lads... Worst comes to worst that's exactly what I'll do!

there must be something written though...?

no idea on mine but I do know it sends 170 gr projectiles better than I can shoot
very pleased with mine had it over a yr now and no problems only shot that weight bullet with it as it was accurate straight out the box with them .
Norma

no idea on mine but I do know it sends 170 gr projectiles better than I can shoot
very pleased with mine had it over a yr now and no problems only shot that weight bullet with it as it was accurate straight out the box with them .
Norma

What rounds are you using? I have generally stuck to 150grain (tried RWS, Norma, Federal, Winchester) but I honestly feel I can outshoot the rounds... I have toyed with going to 165... But I wouldn't mind trying the same rounds as you if you can enlighten me? Cheers

If you honestly feel that the factory offerings you've tried don't shoot to the capability of the rifle, go for the handloading option.
For stalking, don't get hung up on teeny tiny groups, an inch and a half is more than accurate enough for woodland stalking, but I wouldn't want a load that shot any more than an inch if I were shooting at any kind of distance. Handloads in my .308 Sauer will go between 12 and 20mm, provided I get my bench technique right.

Get yourself some 308 reloading dies, bullets and powder and pay me a visit!! Save your fired cases.

I'm guessing:

Lee die set £36
1 lb powder £45 (Enough for at least 150 rounds)
100 bullets £35
100 primers £6

Last edited:
And I was thinking you were going to say hundreds! Would I not need scales, books, cleaning baths?

Not if you come and use my equipment.

If you want to do it yourself add these to the first list:

Lee breech lock challenger kit £120
.308 Case length gauge £6
Manual £16

cdsgltd.co.uk seems to have the best prices at the moment and gives good service.

Cases don't need cleaning to shoot well. If you want to make them nice and shiny on the outside then the lee kit has a holder that fits your drill and can use a brillo pad to get the cases sparkling.

So for the price of 120 rounds of Norma ammo you can buy a reloading setup and get 100 rounds of (accurate) handloads.

Did you ever get a definitive answer to this as my research gives me 3 answers: 1:8, 1:10 and 1:12?

My rifle is something of an oddity, the store I bought if from here in Sweden told me Mauser made them especially for them which I took for sales talk as why would a German company make a “special” version of a production rifle for a Swedish sporting store?
Apparently they did as I have a M12 Extreme with a 510mm fluted barrel akin to the one on the Impact yet made of blued steel not stainless steel.

I can’t find reliable twist rate data on either the Extreme or the Impact, my license says it’s the .308 Extreme yet I can’t find a picture or details of another one like mine.

I use a bore snake not a cleaning rod so I can’t use that method..

Thanks,
Phil.
77C2F6DD-5972-41D0-ABD6-D7FA51391C15_zpsfoo3aoxd.png

Attachments

• 1E78B405-329A-42DE-81C5-2CF53D474725.jpeg
    1E78B405-329A-42DE-81C5-2CF53D474725.jpeg
    376.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 4E15FCDF-2307-4D3F-8A54-867F1F92276B.jpeg
    4E15FCDF-2307-4D3F-8A54-867F1F92276B.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
If you go to the Mauser homepage and download the PDF catalogue of their products and scroll right to the bottom you will find the twist rates for specific calibres.
Being as the publication is from Mauser I guess the figures must be the correct ones.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180718-114456.jpg
    Screenshot_20180718-114456.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 73
If you go to the Mauser homepage and download the PDF catalogue of their products and scroll right to the bottom you will find the twist rates for specific calibres.
Being as the publication is from Mauser I guess the figures must be the correct ones.

Nice one Adrian.
Looks like in .308 it’s 1:11 then. Not that it matters I’m suffering from new gun inquisitiveness...
Thanks,
Phil.

Is does beget another question though.
Why the slow twist rates on Mausers? Particularly the smaller calibers, I though they needed a higher twist rate for increased stability?
9F407344-3F27-4EBF-89F1-12D4B8D27886.jpg

Back