1959 bsa scope mounts

oldmate

hi all,
I have a 1959 BSA Regent?? that i am fitting a new scope to, but the heads of the screws on the rings are stripped. The mounts are unknown and they appear to have odd threads. the screws are not metric or 1/8 UNF, I'm hazarding a guess at maybe whitworth? not sure as i have lost my thread gauge
i am sure i cant find any replacements tho.
Does anyone know if replacement rings to suit the BSA dovetail are still available? the dovetail measures 3/4 with a ruler and does not have a chamfer on the top edge like a piciatinny rail.
Any help is apreciated!

Wes

They are most likely to be Parker Hale roll off rings/mounts. If you Google that, all sorts of responses will come up, including several on Stalking directory.
I have a 1954 BSA in .22Hornet and it has Parker Hale roll of rings. They usually have letters eg. RAHS or RALS stamped on them, which indicated their height and similar.
They are sometimes listed as for sale second hand, so hopefully someone will come along with more information.

hi all,
I have a 1959 BSA Regent?? that i am fitting a new scope to, but the heads of the screws on the rings are stripped. The mounts are unknown and they appear to have odd threads. the screws are not metric or 1/8 UNF, I'm hazarding a guess at maybe whitworth? not sure as i have lost my thread gauge
i am sure i cant find any replacements tho.
Does anyone know if replacement rings to suit the BSA dovetail are still available? the dovetail measures 3/4 with a ruler and does not have a chamfer on the top edge like a piciatinny rail.
Any help is apreciated!

Wes

BSF!! as it is a BSA.........I would put up a ( clear ) picture to make an easier identification.

BSC is very close to metric.

Tim.243

I have just had a look in my copy of John Knibbs' 'The Golden Century'. On page 122 he states ''The top of the receiver was flat with dovetails machined on the front ring and rear bridge to enable Parker-Hale roll-off mounts to be fitted. These mounts has a 17mm wide clamp and were supplied in pairs. They had once inch diameter rings and each of the mounts had a removable recoil stud......''
There is no mention of thread sizes though.

Put a picture up, I may have spare bits

Thank you for the offer, but i bit the bullet and managed to tap them out to metric, they now have M4 allen headed screws!
they have no markings on the rings, i did a bit of a search for parker hale roll off rings and they look nothing like mine, at a guess they mine a cheap set!

''The top of the receiver was flat with dovetails machined on the front ring and rear bridge to enable Parker-Hale roll-off mounts to be fitted. These mounts has a 17mm wide clamp and were supplied in pairs. They had once inch diameter rings and each of the mounts had a removable recoil stud......'' That's interesting i measured the receiver and it was definantly 19mm. well the main thing is the rifle is functional again!

cheers Wes

Happy days, my first year of working was at BSA in Armoury Road Birmingham, our milling instructor made himself a 1911 Colt from drawings that he had found in the drawing office (relics from WWII).

That would of been interesting when you where a young fella, I guess BSA made all the different types of weapons used by the British / commonwealth forces during the war? I think Lithgow arms factory here in OZ made most of our weapons like the Bren, No1 Mk3, owen gun possibly. i think they might of made Vickers machine guns also.

Just googled this http://www.lithgowsafmuseum.org.au/milproduction.html if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
BSA made more than one dovetail width 17mm and 19mm are just two of them that I found reference to.

Back