Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best reloading equipment for a new start?

What's the best reloading equipment for a new start?

I have been looking at various reloading kits and there are a few out there! I was wondering what peoples advice would be for a new starter wanting to reload 243 Win? Is the Lee Reloading kit a good starting point (It's a good price!) or do you recommend any other equipment?

I'm still researching, but am planning to purchase the equipment in the near future.

All advice gratefully recieved.

Cheers.

I just bought the lee anniversary kit. I dont have anything else to compare it to but is seems ok for the money. I got it from henry krank who were doing the anniversary kit and a set of dies for 120. I also bought a brush to clean the cases, calipers and the lee reloading manual and it was about 165 i think incl postage.

Just had a look at the Henry Krank website, very nice shop.

What you need to reload will depend upon the quantity you intend to reload. if it's just a box or two 20-40 every few months then the set up is very simple and quite cheap in cost. But if you intend to load hundreds then the set up needs to take this into account and will cost more especially the press. For just a box or tow a couple of times a year I would suggest a Lee hand press or his Lee Loader. For more then yes a bench mounted press is the way to go. without knowing the quanties and how many different cartridges you wish to load for one cannot give more specific advice or suggestions.

I don't know if it helps and I've posted it here before but after a few years of gathering stuff up this is what I reload with, the press and a powder funnel is missing from the photo. I've found this is all I need so worth considering if a kit would be providing things you don't need when you could maybe spend less money on getting everything you require:

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    What you need to reload will depend upon the quantity you intend to reload. if it's just a box or two 20-40 every few months then the set up is very simple and quite cheap in cost. But if you intend to load hundreds then the set up needs to take this into account and will cost more especially the press. For just a box or tow a couple of times a year I would suggest a Lee hand press or his Lee Loader. For more then yes a bench mounted press is the way to go. without knowing the quanties and how many different cartridges you wish to load for one cannot give more specific advice or suggestions.
    I'm only a recreational stalker and a member of a local rifle club so the amounts of ammo would be relatively low, probably a few boxes a month, around 80 rounds if I'm attending the range on a regular basis. This is why I was looking at the Lee package, there does seem to be a big jump in price from these to the RCBS or Dillon equipment. Just interested in a starter pack, if it gets serious later and I'm reloading more I'm thinking I can replace required components as necessary. If the Lee comes recommended than I think that's where I'll put my money.

heheheheheee

reloading is expensive....dinnae believe anyone else!!!!! not the making of the loads , but once you start you can get caught up and "upgrade" to better equipment in that lifelong search for accuracy!!!! heheheheheee

seriously tho its a hobby of its own,
    im lucky coz my brother has helped me out and removed a lot of the mystery but go for it!!!!

i used Lee equipment for last few years and its fine but i recently upgraded

i use a multi turret press....some say your better with a single press but i couldnt be bothered with changing them out and resetting everything....the lee multi stage press was ok but a lot of movement which i guess could effect tolerances but i never had major problems with rounds

i now have the lyman T-mag turret press and its built like a friggin tank!!!!! i also have redding dies which are of a better quality than Lee

and youll end up moving over i guess to digital scales at some point for powder measuring!

think i have couple of Lee die sets sitting....ill see what they are and put them up for sale possibly

all the best

sauer / paul

I have a large selection of reloading gear, of many makes. I use quite a bit of Lee stuff including and especially dies and trimmer arrangements. I have four presses on my bench: A Lyman, an RCBS, and two Lees. I use them all equally with no problems. Get their loading book, above all else, and READ it. You'll be well served.~Muir

Similar to yourself Scott,

Just started myself.......I went for the RCBS kit (single turret). Looks o/k and the press has good build quality.

As Sauer said it ain't cheap once you buy all the bits that you will need but then I don't shoot a lot of deer. I just wanted to get improved accuracy and consistency. The cost savings per round weren't that important to me.

I've found there is an awful lot to learn and the learning curve will in all probability go on...and on.....and on...ad infinitum !

Going along with Muir........get the books and read, read, read. The threads are endless and I can well understand why some people treat the 'reloading scene' as a sole hobby. I suppose in a way that it is 'the pursuit of perfection' which is adaptable to both range and field work.

I'm starting off with the following (Mind you I could be wide of the mark here ! ):-

.243 (plus .270 soon)
    Winchester brass (used once)
    100 grn Sierra Spitzer Gamekings (Deer).
    87 grn Hornady V-max (fox)
    Vita Vouri N150 (for the 87 grns)
    Reloader 19 (for the 100 grns)

Try these links:-

http://www.lapua.com/fileadmin/user_...deEdition8.pdf
    http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra243win.pdf
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/243Win.htm
    http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone out there who has a good recipe based on the above.

Look forwards to more posts from you in the pursuit.

Good luck

Rocky

Cheers for all the info people, I'm going to go for the Lee reloading kit.

Just have one last question before I go for this, do I need a new condition on my FAC for purchasing powder or any other reloading equipment? Or am I good to go with the expanding ammunition condition already in place? I'm restricted to 150 rounds of ammo but can I have enough of the seperate parts to make more as long as I only have 150 completed at any one time? I just thought you might be able to give me heads up before I contact the fire arms dept.

Cheers again!!