Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best IR Illuminator

Best IR Illuminator

I have had a Starlight Archer for some years now and get on very well with it. The little laser IR light on top has always thrown off a pretty "dirty" light which has always frustrated me a bit so I thought it was about time to get a new illuminator.

Started to do some research and it confused the hell out of me. I want to be able to see into the corners of the fields from my recon positions which means an effective range of about 400 yds to clearly pick up a fox.

Many people are saying that the new LED's with the AS pill are very capable. However, I don't want to go up to a T74 size head as I think it's all going to be a bit big and heavy. Some talk about Sunrangers which appear to be a T20 with a new photographic lens attached to the front and able to focus a much better beam than most standard torches. There is the new Dragonfly laser from Starlight as well which some say is very good, but the light is still a little dirty. Others swear by the X-Searcher which again is a bit big.

So has anyone got the answer to a reasonably compact IR illuminator that will focus a good beam out to 400 yds plus?
    So much to learn and so little time left

SD Regular
    Have you cleaned the lens on the Firefly? Makes a massive difference as the slightest scratch/mark causes diffraction. A T50/Evo 50 should punch the distance you want. Failing that - Dipol L3 laser - or Laserluchs - but .....
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Have you cleaned the lens on the Firefly? Makes a massive difference as the slightest scratch/mark causes diffraction. A T50/Evo 50 should punch the distance you want. Failing that - Dipol L3 laser - or Laserluchs - but .....
    Clean the lens regularly and have tried all sorts to clean it with, fiddly little bugger. Know a few other people with similar issue so I don't think it's me doing anything wrong.

Who would you buy a T50 from? Is a Black Sun T50 that much better than anything else?

Try a EVO50 from The Torch Factory. Best value out there. (No connection - other than being a satisfied customer)

I have an n1000 from Clive ward I'm selling should work very nicely with the archer

The dogs danglies is the dragonfly. ,no if's, no but's
    i have nm800 and firefly and np1000. There is no competition. I was so impressed I bought 2.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    The dogs danglies is the dragonfly. ,no if's, no but's
    i have nm800 and firefly and np1000. There is no competition. I was so impressed I bought 2.
    Exactly! Nothing comes even close!

Give this a go on the nightvision forum. http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16028
    I have a T20 with a black sun pil which will take you out to about 300 yards and in the right conditions a little more but I wanted to go further so I have just bought a T74 from IR light builds which I have yet to mount on my Drone Pro.
    The man in the know is a chap called Dave (warbucks).
    Bryn

Quote Originally Posted by bryn View Post
    Give this a go on the nightvision forum. http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16028
    I have a T20 with a black sun pil which will take you out to about 300 yards and in the right conditions a little more but I wanted to go further so I have just bought a T74 from IR light builds which I have yet to mount on my Drone Pro.
    The man in the know is a chap called Dave (warbucks).
    Bryn
    How is the T74 size wise? Is it ridiculously big on the rifle?
    Last edited by NigelM; 18-11-2016 at 20:33.

+1 for the dragonfly . Don't need anything else.