Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avon and Somerset - SGC

Avon and Somerset - SGC

Evening all,

Recently (last week) put in my SGC application with A&S.

First question is what's their current turn around time like for grants? The FO I emailed to discuss a few other things regarding the application said it was currently taking up to 16 weeks, but I'm not sure whether this is a real 'up to' or a 'we try and average 16 weeks, best of luck'. Any light people can shed with their current experiences would be greatly appreciated. (I'm an impatient bugger!)

The second one was something that only came up when reading the ShootingUK forum. People had apparently had issues with grants when their wife/partner who was not a SGC holder had depression or some other mental disorder. My wife has been diagnosed with post-natal depression, seen the Dr and takes prescribed medication for it; which from what I understand is pretty mild stuff. Now this never occurred to me as potentially being an issue as obviously she won't have access to the guns, in fact I would very much be failing in my duty if she did. In reality how much of an issue is this likely to be? Will the interviewing officer even ask?
    Last edited by Lord V; 19-11-2016 at 00:04. Reason: Spelling

As far as I was aware it possibly could affect your application if it was yourself with depression but not your wife.If you are not asked on any of the forms then there is no need to offer the information to them,and as you rightly say she will not have access to the cabinet anyway...............good luck V

Martin

I'd avoid mentioning it, it's not relevant. Also, it's a temporary condition which she'll have got over by the time you get a SGC with a waiting time like that. I doubt your GP would consider her depression a risk of doing anything stupid anyway.

I thought as much. Tbh I wasn't going to offer the information anyway, as far as I can see it hasn't got a whole lot to do with the grant. I was just a little surprised it could come up.

Ultimately if for some reason something did go horribly wrong (not that I ever think it will) it's almost certain I would be massively culpable anyway so very little blame, if any, would be attached to the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord V View Post
    I thought as much. Tbh I wasn't going to offer the information anyway, as far as I can see it hasn't got a whole lot to do with the grant. I was just a little surprised it could come up.

Ultimately if for some reason something did go horribly wrong (not that I ever think it will) it's almost certain I would be massively culpable anyway so very little blame, if any, would be attached to the police.
    The official police view is that there is a risk because your wife has depression. The only way blame doesn't get attached to the police is to reduce the risk and refuse to grant a certificate, they cannot be at fault at all then. It is completely bonkers that train of thought but unfortunately the way they view it. You could always pray that BASC will help.
    Last edited by Brimfire; 19-11-2016 at 08:36.

As you are the applicant there is no point offering up any irrelevant information to your application. You have sole access to the cabinet. Good luck,

So if they ask I'm screwed then?

If don't ask don't offer but if they ask tell the truth , point out sole access etc & if need be if you get refused get your organisation involved

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Lord V View Post
    So if they ask I'm screwed then?
    As above. Sole access, temporary condition and if it's a dealbreaking problem have your gun(s) stored at a gunshop/RFD/friend until she is well.

So fingers crossed then... exactly how I like my odds.

I would be pretty surprised if I was the only one in this position though.