Save our Bass campaign

JabaliHunter

I know that everyone is fed up with frivolous petitions at the moment, but please consider supporting this one.

The EU has proposed a ban on net fishing for bass in the Northern bass fishery in 2017 restricting bass fishing to recreational and commercial hook and line fishing only. This is seen a vital for the recovery of depleted bass stocks. The petition calls for the UK to support the ban and not to water down the proposals.

Link to petition. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/172441

Save our bass campaign info (including draft letters for you to send to the UK fisheries minister, your MP and the EU Fisheries Commissioner if so inclined). http://www.saveourseabass.org/en/send-email/

Angling Trust briefing on the bass fishery issues and conservation http://www.anglingtrust.net/core/core_picker/download.asp?id=7945

PLEASE HELP - THIS IS OUR BEST OPPORTUNITY FOR GENERATIONS

The sooner we leave the EU so that our navy can torpedo the Spaniards and the French fishing our waters and we can manage our own fishery the better.

There's a petition I would sign.

Maybe they should address how Quota is issued.

Obviously quota is how we preserve our fish stocks, but... If I catch my quota early I can buy more! Because what the governement do is invest this money into "fish seeds" which they plant on the sea bed and that's how baby fishes are born.

If the government are lucky some rich business man or club someone like Chelsea football club or Man United will buy up millions of punds worth of quota and trade it like a commodity selling it to the lucky fishermen. Obviously the more money they make the more "fish seeds" the government can plant.

Done with pleasure.
Now about our depleted cod stocks, maybe a total ban for all methods for say 10 years ?
I can just about remember the glorious days of the mid to late 70's when any beach trip was likely to produce at leat a couple of ten pounders.
All that has changed since then is commercial fishing pressure.

Neil. :)

They need to stop people netting the rivers off around here. That will help. The people who do this probably don't even have a license to do so

This won't stop Bass being caught in Nets, just prevent people from landing bass that have been caught in Nets.

Ok fair enough. But these guys put up huge nets and surely doing this across the rivers won't help things. The fish don't get much chance as the fish don't have much chance?
I may be wrong.

This is just more legislation that penalises the small fishing fleet.

It won't save bass stocks I doubt it will make a difference at all.

I won't sign this because in my opinion it is misguided.

The best way for government to "save our bass" if indeed they truly do need saving is to subsidise bass farming, the lower price bass command the less commercially viable.

Banning using Nets in favour of lines isn't going to result in less bass landed as the quota will still be set the same, big business can still buy more quota and land more fish, itwill cost them more to get those fish to market so they have to catch more etc etc.

Bass caught while trawling for soles for example instead of being legally landed will be thrown back dead.

Bass caught while Gill netting mullet will be thrown back dead.

People still have to make a living.

This is just more legislation that penalises the small fishing fleet.

It won't save bass stocks I doubt it will make a difference at all.

I won't sign this because in my opinion it is misguided.

The best way for government to "save our bass" if indeed they truly do need saving is to subsidise bass farming, the lower price bass command the less commercially viable.

Banning using Nets in favour of lines isn't going to result in less bass landed as the quota will still be set the same, big business can still buy more quota and land more fish, itwill cost them more to get those fish to market so they have to catch more etc etc.

Bass caught while trawling for soles for example instead of being legally landed will be thrown back dead.

Bass caught while Gill netting mullet will be thrown back dead.

People still have to make a living.

+1

Are we talking about normal Bass here, or the elite and much more expensive "Sea Bass" which our famous chefs are always banging on about? And while we are on the subject, pan frying.......

Back