Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: high seats

high seats

Hi guys
    im thinking of making some high seats out of wood, ive got about £100 to spend, hoping to make 2 or 3 at a push. would you guys have any
    designs, tips or tricks you could share? i think ive got a idea of what i want, its just getting dimentions together and timber sizes.
    cheers in advance
    martyn

Search hi seat designs on internet, lots of options

I put a design up on our web site.

The gun rail is at the lowest level you would want so most would want to raise it by 100 - 150mm which is easily done with a couple of 4 X 4 blocks

http://www.dagse.co.uk/resources/designing-a-high-seat/

1.2 wide is the optimum to minamise materials wastage (1.2 X 2.4 sheet material and 3.6m timber lengths)

Fortunatly its also a very comfortable width for two people but ensure you asemble on site because its a heavy old lump

These high seats are very comfortable and I often sit in them 4 hours +

Dont forget the esential coffie fags and bino shelf Its just not a Chasey seat without one

ATB

Mark

Here is what we do with softwood feet. Old oil/creosote mix in pots, soaks 200mm up the grain and as there are pads underneath it will not leech into the soil.
    Martin
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Feet protection.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	76571

Quote Originally Posted by martyn-e-w View Post
    Hi guys
    im thinking of making some high seats out of wood, ive got about £100 to spend, hoping to make 2 or 3 at a push. would you guys have any
    designs, tips or tricks you could share? i think ive got a idea of what i want, its just getting dimentions together and timber sizes.
    cheers in advance
    martyn

Name:	Shooting Times Highseat.pdf 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	76572

think i added that correctly!!!

Hi guys
    cheers in advance
    martyn

Name:	High-Seat-design-2.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	364.1 KB 
ID:	76573

depending on the length of time you want to keep them and the weight of the occupants i suggest that you use some galvanised wire to reinforce all the rungs galvanised wire and staples just like old wooden industrial ladders depending on the location and access of others beware of other people getting access and the dreaded health and safety problems i have a friend who lost his stalking through ignorance of modern business and legal practise

Attachment 76629 I make one like this. But also used seats from Keith's high seats.

Established Poster
    View my Gallery (3)View my Gallery (3)

Name:	DSC_0061.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	76926
    Hi Martin,
    This is made from 4.8mt lengths of 4x2 and 2x2.
    The box is made from fencing lengths and the total including Ronseal(after the picture was taken)
    was about £90.
    Hope the picture is self explanatory.
    All the best
    Alan

Hi guys
    cheers in advance
    martyn
    If you are buying new treated pine wood, and galvanised bugle screws it is not possible to make three 2 or 3 free standing high seats for 100 pounds unless you have a wood merchant that offers unbelievable prices. If you are making a lean to type unit and can bolt it to the tree without buying a ratchet strap you maybe able to get build two, with a rail support, possibly three without some 2.7m to the top of the footing. I prefer the rail support as you don't have to shoot offhand or crossed legs plus it acts as a safety barrier making it harder to fall out of.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle