Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dutch oven who uses them?

Dutch oven who uses them?

Hi everybody

Got a hankering to get hold of a Dutch oven & tripod & do variety of stews soups etc over fire , even if just in the garden with the kids ... anything g to get them out & away from bloody internet.

Who has on here ?
    Any tips ?
    Where to buy etc

Cheers
    Paul

Paul

I've technically a few.

Got a Petromax 'proper' one - cant recall litre size. But its your traditional cast iron black metal. That gets used on top of the log burners as well as outside. Does exactly what you expect - a bit of a faff, but easy to get good results - even baking stuff.

Quite a few good books - not to hand so cant quote right now - PM if need titles etc - most US. Several are very good with fairly exact temperature/ cooking time info utilising charcoal bricks split between top and bottom - quick and easy. Recipes in the US books tend to be a bit outside my taste buds - Racoon grits with pumkin topping and 400 quarts of syrup and 1/2 ton sugar But the how to bit make them worthwhile.

Main bug bear is care and cleaning - raw cast iron, even seasoned takes some care and attention to keep in good order and care to ensure whatever you cook doesnt taste of the preserving oils!

As most of my ovening takes place utilising the top of the log burners, I do like enamalled cast iron pots. Much easier to clean and no taste transfer problem. There are some very good - and pricey - US models, but one of the best I've found so far was from Lidl or Aldi for about 20. Some argue not strictly a dutch oven per se ( hence opening comment ) but I feel the key principle is utilising cast iron to spread even heating and by that measure, I count them as Dutch Ovens.

But you are spot on - it will give the kids something to focus on and 'do' thats rather different from a BBQ. Again the US books may well appeal to kid palates as there's a fair selection of sweet/ desert type stuff in the recipes.

Given the forum, I'd best add it does a fantastic slow cook or slow roast venison.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the NSS, Scone & Moy 2018

I'm no stranger lately to cast iron .....
    Stopped using my teflon coated pan & went for a Lodge brand big cast iron skillet .....yup bit off a faff but getting hang of it now to be honest and prefer the cooking with it .
    Would be looking for one with the " three legs" & rim style lid , think it's true camp style one rather than flat bottom ......
    Log burner I didn't think about ....could put ontop of mine no bother , idea if get longer power cut , unlikely tho .
    Wouldn't mind spending a bit more for proper cast job ....I know Bugger all about the tripods or the like tho .
    Watched a few stews etc being done and notice the so many coals on top so many on bottom but over fire appeals far more .
    Really fancy giving a go ....especially a venison stew or curry slow cooked to tenderness.

Paul

These are great and you won't regret buying one whether in the garden or for camping.
    I have one of these, bag is also a good idea as they are always sooty or rust when damp.
    http://www.dutchovens.co.uk/dutch-oven-8ltr.html

If you only get one get an 8lt. We have cooked bread, pizza and roast chick in mine as well as stews and soups.

People love it when we use ours and often come over and investigate. We often have friends and kids over and have chilli or venison stew in the garden. I often just use 3 hazel rods lashed and a chain with hook on one end and carabina the other to hang from.
    I have made a trivet to which is bit more portable though nothing about couch ovens is very portable without a vehicle.
    https://goo.gl/photos/ChEdtzLVii1pcr7m6Click image for larger version. 

Name:	main.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	561.1 KB 
ID:	76472

Dutch oven who uses them?

Andy , by technically you have a few , how many do you have ?

Trucraft
    Cheers for the links , what diameter is your 8ltr one? After watching lot of the yank YouTube vids it appears the good size would be 10" across or 12" across more than enough for 5 or 6 folk , don't want to go too big but I was thinking 10" , the 8ltr version on the link is sold out ...Bollox !
    I'll keep eyes peeled
    H and a wee pot stand / trivet be handy as well as tripod I'm guessing ! Never thought of one of them , handy for my cast skillet as well

Paul

Technically bit was really that some dont consider the woofy enammel 'pots' REAL Dutch ovens and if you thought the Blaser Owners Mafia was bad....

Petromax has the lid lip and properly seats to recycle fluids etc etc. They do legged and unlegged versions. For sitting in fire coals/ with charcoal then legs make some sense - but then it becomes an issue using on flat top log burner - so went for no leg version and just chock it up if needed.

Then have the lidl/ aldi one, plus another larger enammelled one ( need to look up spelling enamel! ) that I think came from Homebase before they fled the area. So grand total 3.

Also got two large pots that go stove top - but not cast iron, so dont transmit heat as well.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the NSS, Scone & Moy 2018

I have 4 sets of cast iron pots including 4 dutch ovens for my bushcraft business

You can get them with or without legs

As already mentioned, they require a bit of care to stop them rusting

You can swing em from a tripod but I'd go for a home made trivet like Trucraft's above

They are heavy beasties but work very well on an open fire - good for stews, bread etc

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Many deer hunters/fishers/campers in Australia have what we call a 'camp oven'.
    Here is a pic of old mates mitts with a damper/bread,taken while in a Fallow hunt camp out in the sticks.
    Used correctly its great to arrive back in camp after dark and there is a big venison casserole ready to get into,with the damper to mop up the gravy!

[/URL]
    04-07-2018, 19:32I must admit i read a lot of john's dog posts above and just cringe when i read them .........Countryboy 04-07-201804-07-2018, 19:32

It amazes me as to how many Aussies are lurking on this forum as members of the Secret Squirrel Society.

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    This book is as good as it gets re using one,I have it and it is done by a shearers cook from the old days where they fed the team by using camp ovens as thats all they had.

http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/outback-cooking-camp-oven
    04-07-2018, 19:32I must admit i read a lot of john's dog posts above and just cringe when i read them .........Countryboy 04-07-201804-07-2018, 19:32

It amazes me as to how many Aussies are lurking on this forum as members of the Secret Squirrel Society.