Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That 6.5x55 jump

That 6.5x55 jump

Ok maybe I missed it but just how big is it? The reason I ask is that I started working out a load for Nosler 130gr Accubond, and I noticed their recommended OAL is 76.83mm. Now with this bullet, my rifle has a bolt-face to lands measurement of 78.14mm. Measured the length of the bullet from tip to contact point and found 14mm, if that is subtracted from the OAL you get 62.83mm length from the bolt face to the lands contact point. That gives a jump of 15.21 mm (599 thou)!! i.e. the bullet has all but cleared the case but not engaged the lands, the boat-tail is just in the neck. Now to me that sounds bonkers. So I have either made a mistake in my understanding, or I've a funny barrel -it's new only fired 60 rounds-, I've rechecked my measurements several times with two different verniers. n.b. I do seem to get more muzzle flip than my friends identical rifle. Any suggestions, a demerit point for everyone who suggest a different calibre!

This isn't directly applicable because I have a 6.5x54 instead - and am very much a novice. I noticed that 140gr Hirtenberger factory ammo was 0.1" shorter overall than older 160 gr RN cartridges. The ogive was also more aerodynamic and I would think these cartridges also had at least 300 thou more before engaging the rifling...and quite possibly as much as or more than you calculated. I only test fired a few..and they're all over the place. I've just started reloading using 160gr Hornady interlocks and so far am pleased with their accuracy. (That said, they don't seem to have parallel sides and are only 0.264 at the base...tapering to .250-something )

Might it be that your Accubonds are intended for a more modern chambering, and that the swede wants heavy, long, parallel sided bullets? This is what the rounds it was designed for look like.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161107_001433.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	76606 The pointier one is a 140gr and you can see how much ...well, pointier it is.
    Last edited by Apthorpe; 21-11-2016 at 15:33.

Don't get wound up about seating close to the lands. The 6.5x55, 7x57 and the .308 have large amounts of "freebore." Concentrate on concentricty of your reloads, as Apthorpe so rightly says SAAMI chambered 6.5x55's are made to take the much longer 160gr bullets once favoured by our forefathers. The 6.5 can still be very accurate;

Simon/
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

So how does it shoot?
    plenty of them shoot just fine over here with saami c.o.l rounds.
    dont get over excited about trying to seat the bullet near the lands, I presume it's for hunting rather than benchrest?

Stop measuring things other than the data manufacturer's recommended OAL. I never do it unless it's hi vel cast bullets. (where it is required, but for different reasons than with jacketed bullets.) My 6,5x55 shoots n the .3's with FL resized cases and the bullet seated to recommended OAL. (and crimped!) ~Muir

Many thanks to all. I have only just started to reload for this calibre. The rifle is a Sauer 202 and is probably more accurate than the driver, with Berger 130gr VLD I have shot a 14mm 5 shot group, last night I checked the Bergers, their contact point is 3 mm further back than the Noslers! I was somewhat aghast to discover that the bullet was floating at the start of it's travel. However I have answered another point, I read -somewhere- that the Swede shoots a heavier bullet with less powder, ie with the smaller bullets the expanding gases can pass around the bullet before it hits the lands and seals, ergo some of the powder is wasted, and the longer the bullet the less is wasted, so more of it goes into propelling the bullet. Maybe I'll try the 140's and 150's as well and see if there is any difference.

Muir how much crimp do you apply?

I've started loading 160 RN for my Swede, though not for 'powder burning' reasons. I just got a great deal on the bullets and thought I'd give them a try. Though they chug out of the barrel at a pretty pedestrian 2450fps, they group tighter than anything I've reloaded to date and happily knock over Whitetail in the 25-200yd range in which I hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Davee View Post

That's a little like asking how much a duck weighs: It depends on the duck. Bullets with tougher jackets will get a heavier crimp -or it will be perceived as heavier. You need to experiment. You can look into the top of the die and see how much the die closes. (Lee Factory Crimp is the only die to use) I have used wire type feeler gauges to judge the amount of closure but mostly I use a sense of feel. If you crimp, trim to the same length at every reloading. I trim to the length of the shortest case in the LOT I'm reloading.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Davee View Post
    Many thanks to all. I have only just started to reload for this calibre. The rifle is a Sauer 202 and is probably more accurate than the driver, with Berger 130gr VLD I have shot a 14mm 5 shot group, last night I checked the Bergers, their contact point is 3 mm further back than the Noslers! I was somewhat aghast to discover that the bullet was floating at the start of it's travel. However I have answered another point, I read -somewhere- that the Swede shoots a heavier bullet with less powder, ie with the smaller bullets the expanding gases can pass around the bullet before it hits the lands and seals, ergo some of the powder is wasted, and the longer the bullet the less is wasted, so more of it goes into propelling the bullet. Maybe I'll try the 140's and 150's as well and see if there is any difference.

Whoa, stop right there....

Just load up a suitable recommended bullet, and use it.

Vld's are not particularly suitable, but as you are getting decent results, bonus.

From what you said above, i think you have been doing too much googling, where the hell did you get the "leaking gasses" bit from ? I'd love to see the source of that !

End of the day,
    Its a 6.5x55, it has a very long throat.
    Normal ammo is in the 160gr area, thus very long bearing surfaces, which are great for a long throat.

If you want a 6.5mm that shoots the lighter stuff, sell it, and get a creedmore.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by The tramp; 22-11-2016 at 14:39. Reason: Auto incorrect
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

do not worry about this off the lands mullarky yes some rifles and bullet combinations shoot better this way but it is not the end of the world i see a lot of BR and F class shooters talking about 2 or 3 thou off the lands and they can talk it but not accurately measure it as for your 6.5 x 55 unless it is a custom barrel set up for your choice of bullet all factory 6.5 x 55 are chambered for the long heavy bullets that tend to be long round nose types so a modern sporting type bullet will fall out of the case if you try to do this