Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 4 x 4 SUV for stalking and road.

Best 4 x 4 SUV for stalking and road.

I require an SUV to use for work, which will involve in the region of 10,000 miles a year, and stalking. I drive a Mazda truck at the moment but am looking for something comfortable and more economical on the road and also has good off-road ability. I've been looking on the internet and made a few call but would like to ask if anyone can offer their experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    I require an SUV to use for work, which will involve in the region of 10,000 miles a year, and stalking. I drive a Mazda truck at the moment but am looking for something comfortable and more economical on the road and also has good off-road ability. I've been looking on the internet and made a few call but would like to ask if anyone can offer their experiences.
    I think you will get 20 different answers from 20 different people! Personally, I have a VW Touareg which I love and think is the mutts, not the most economical thing but supremely comfy and incredibly capable off road. What kind of budget are you looking at?

I got an old RR Sport and put some proper tyres on it. Drive distance in comfort and proper off road ability when it get's the other end. Boot liner means I don't make too much of a mess of it. Great bit of kit, much nicer to drive than the old Navara. No bills yet either......................
    So much to learn and so little time left

I will put my Isuzu dmax as the best vehicle in the world.

Next please!
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

I think really to get any sensible response you might need to indicate a budget.

Incidentally the best vehicle in the world is my three Landcruisers ...

I now have a dacia duster great car 4x4 dog shooting kit no problem. I work on a farm part time and have no problem going anywhere in it with the snow and mud standard tyres. Please don't be fooled by the look of them I had a ford ranger pick up with bfg ats before this and a deffender 90 before that and I will take my dacia over both cheap to run nice to drive. All the best Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
    I think really to get any sensible response you might need to indicate a budget.

Incidentally the best vehicle in the world is my three Landcruisers ...
    and my two landcruisers, 450,000 trouble free miles between them !
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Pikey coursers seem to favour The Honda CRV and do well on and off road. Seen some pretty smart although dangerous escapes in them and they have a great turn of speed on and off road.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

Discovery 4 commercial get load of **** in it

A Discovery 4 could well be the answer. On the road, 245 or 254 HP (depending on year) from it's 3 litre twin turbo diesel will see you motoring along any road with aplomb, it's cavernous inside, even if you don't get the commercial and it'll out-do any pickup off road. As for cheap running costs, the fuel isn't too bad depending on your driving habits but you need to budget for servicing. However - although mine has been excellent (touch wood) there is the worry of Land Rover's reliability record. To be detached about it, it's abysmal although since 2010ish, it is very much improved. But they are complicated things, so for excellent off road ability and a marvellous on road driving experience, with approaching Range Rover comfort, could you?

The Land Cruiser is a good alternative as is the Nissan Pathfinder. But they all have their drawbacks. Depending on your over all requirements, would one of the "soft roader's" fit the bill? Worth considering if your off road forays aren't too taxing. You would certainly save on running costs. A Nissan X-trail is an excellent car.