Thread: 7x57 long or short action?

7x57 long or short action?

I think my Ruger M77 Mk2 in 7x57 is a long action (looking at aftermarket stocks). Is that right please?

Well Kevin would say a 7 x 57 is a standard action, don't know about Rugers though.

David.

SD Regular
    An email to Ruger will confirm if it is or it isn't.

But...see what Jack says...although most folks called Jack that I know don't know **** this chap might...

Yet Chick Hawks (who isn't always right in fact many times wrong) says the Mk II exists in "short" and "standard".

Last edited by enfieldspares; 22-11-2016 at 12:18.

7x57 is a standard action length, not a short one, so like the .270 or the .30-06, but not like .308 derived cases like the .243 or 7mm08.
    "Wishy washy hand-wringing diversified all encompassing liberal"

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    7x57 is a standard action length, not a short one, so like the .270 or the .30-06, but not like .308 derived cases like the .243 or 7mm08.
    It's a Long action, which used to be "standard" but is no longer. The .243 - .308 is called a Medium action, or Short. The Ruger M77 is a mauser-type action, so you need Long.

That's one of the reasons why the 7x57 is moribund. You can get 7 x 64 in the same Long action (not from Ruger) with more zip.... and the same zip is on tap for the 7mm-08 in Medium or Short.

If the 7x57 had been chambered in LH & RH then more buyers would have considered it ... but at least 1 out of every 6 rifle-shooters now won't even consider it as an option.
    Ammo collector & cartridge geek Ö. if I donít have it you donít shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    It's a Long action, which used to be "standard" but is no longer. The .243 - .308 is called a Medium action, or Short. The Ruger M77 is a mauser-type action, so you need Long.

That's one of the reasons why the 7x57 is moribund. You can get 7 x 64 in the same Long action (not from Ruger) with more zip.... and the same zip is on tap for the 7mm-08 in Medium or Short.

If the 7x57 had been chambered in LH & RH then more buyers would have considered it ... but at least 1 out of every 6 rifle-shooters now won't even consider it as an option.
    Ruger did offer the M77 and the M77 MkII in 7x64 in LH and RH, on a 600mm barrel.

The Ruger 77 Mk1 tang safety rifles were assembled in Belgium, using Delcours barrels, probably due to some tariff quirk.

The MkII was built in a small batch of 7x64mm right before the Ruger Hawkeye came out.

Remington also has built the M700 ADL and BDL in 7x64, in small runs of 200 or so.

I bought a left over Delcours barrel and put it on an old Ruger tang safety donor rifle for one of my projects. You could do the same with a LH tang safety. The barrels are still available, blued and without sights.

Thanks folks- sounds like I need a standard/ long action but not a short action. Shame, there's a cheapo new (original) Ruger stock for short action in the Holts sealed bid sale. Was thinking about having a play around with that!

Its a long shot, but you might check with a large Winchester dealer, to see if you can get a M70 Featherweight in 7x57mm. They ran off a batch of 200 or so in late 2014, IIRC.

Also look at a CZ 550 with open sights, or the CZ 550 FS carbine.

I just recently bought an older, second hand, but looks almost new, CZ ZKK 600 in 7x57 Mauser, with the sturdy open rear sight and hooded, barrel band front sight. I am loving the thing, as I have not had a 7x57 Mauser for about seven or eight years, just a combination gun in 7x57R.