Thread: Poor Customer Service

Poor Customer Service

Ordered a new jacket last week and payed 165 on ordering + 9.95 postage. Not heard a thing from the vendor since so I rang up this morning to enquire about delivery - very unenthusiastic answer of

"oh they are not in stock, I ordered more from Finland yesterday but the lady there who looks after my orders is off sick "" so when can I have delivery - "oh no idea" so I asked why they didnt let me know - a quick email explanation would have been sufficient - "oh never thought of doing that".

How do these people stay in business, customer service is appalling, needless to say I have cancelled the order and demanded a refund. (not going to name them but their name could mean its "Cold Outside")

Rant over!!!!!!!
    TonyC

Quote Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
    Ordered a new jacket last week and payed 165 on ordering + 9.95 postage. Not heard a thing from the vendor since so I rang up this morning to enquire about delivery - very unenthusiastic answer of

"oh they are not in stock, I ordered more from Finland yesterday but the lady there who looks after my orders is off sick "" so when can I have delivery - "oh no idea" so I asked why they didnt let me know - a quick email explanation would have been sufficient - "oh never thought of doing that".

How do these people stay in business, customer service is appalling, needless to say I have cancelled the order and demanded a refund. (not going to name them but their name could mean its "Cold Outside")

Rant over!!!!!!!

We all like a rant occasionally, but unless people also name the companies that offer poor service, you're just allowing the same to happen to other people !

I couldn't agree more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    We all like a rant occasionally, but unless people also name the companies that offer poor service, you're just allowing the same to happen to other people !

The OP did give sufficient clue I think. Cold Outside?

I can really feel for retailers ( we're one obviously ) but the sheer aggrivation in getting stock on a regular basis would astound you. I put an order in with the same outfit in June - but via Paypal and no funds taken. Not a thing heard until I contacted them after 4 weeks - its on order, we'll bill when it comes. I know the frustration, but that simply isnt the way to do business - legally or ethically. Clothing is an extra nightmare due to the sizing range that can apply. You can hold 200 items on hand and the next customer will be 7 foot tall with 2" arms.

The item looks good and wasnt available elsewhere, so I'll keep reminding ( midge jacket to trial so no rush.... now ). Their other main line - a range of clothing that rhymes - with yackity Yack - has been some of the best gear I've had. That set still in use some 10 years on and service at the time was superb.

There can be many reasons for poor service and sometimes there's something valid in the background. It'd be a nice world if we could pull together and give good but struggling suppliers a hand. I dont know the answer - but until one comes up I will support excellent customer service, local and nice over saving 1 here and there.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the NSS, Scone & Moy 2018

tony bought 2 lots over the years and service has been very good from artic
    atb tom

Reminds me of a hunting clothing online store where I paid and waited over 18 months for delivery- no joke!

Christ. Longer than an application in Essex

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    The OP did give sufficient clue I think. Cold Outside?

I can really feel for retailers ( we're one obviously ) but the sheer aggrivation in getting stock on a regular basis would astound you. I put an order in with the same outfit in June - but via Paypal and no funds taken. Not a thing heard until I contacted them after 4 weeks - its on order, we'll bill when it comes. I know the frustration, but that simply isnt the way to do business - legally or ethically. Clothing is an extra nightmare due to the sizing range that can apply. You can hold 200 items on hand and the next customer will be 7 foot tall with 2" arms.

The item looks good and wasnt available elsewhere, so I'll keep reminding ( midge jacket to trial so no rush.... now ). Their other main line - a range of clothing that rhymes - with yackity Yack - has been some of the best gear I've had. That set still in use some 10 years on and service at the time was superb.

There can be many reasons for poor service and sometimes there's something valid in the background. It'd be a nice world if we could pull together and give good but struggling suppliers a hand. I dont know the answer - but until one comes up I will support excellent customer service, local and nice over saving 1 here and there.
    I'm sorry, but I don't know every shop out there, and it would be nice if people just gave the information you need, rather than setting puzzles !

I also run a small business, and try to keep everything in stock, which I think most people will appreciate just isn't possible 100% of the time, but even the OP recognizes this, and the solution is to either make the stock position clear at the time of ordering, or to let the customer know ASAP, so they have the option to find the product elsewhere.

So the poor service wasn't because they were out of stock, but that they didn't let the customer know this was the case !

There's the rub. Problems with getting stock in is one thing. But there are those online retailers who offer stuff for sale that they simply don't have. When an order comes in, they then try to order it. SO frustrating, especially when you could have gone elsewhere and bought the same thing where they actually did have some.

But cast your mind back to the time before t'internet. When we would reply to adverts in magazines, newspapers or wherever by telephone or by sending off a cut-out order form. They always included the legend "please allow 28 days for delivery". But 18 months is a bit much. That's nearly the gestation period of an elephant!

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post

So the poor service wasn't because they were out of stock, but that they didn't let the customer know this was the case !
    Correct - I understand about stock shortages / ordering but lack of communication is the problem. Most get it right, earlier this year I waited over 6 weeks for an item but I got an update every week and payment wasnt taken until it was despatched, thats service!
    TonyC