Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sst .270

Sst .270

Hi
    Has any body had any experience with reloading Hornady SST 130 grn in .270 Win I would like to use Varget or H4895 as I already have them for my other reloading, I realize that the information is there for 130 gns in other bullet combinations but I just wondered if there was anything different that people knew of for the SST.
    MIB

I use sst in 270 and love them what species of deer are you shooting? Drive them around 2700fps and you will be fine, some people hate them but like any bullet shot placement is everything Atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

SD Regular
    Some Estates will ask if you'd prefer to use the "estate rifle" if you turn up with the red-tipped SSTs.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Some Estates will ask if you'd prefer to use the "estate rifle" if you turn up with the red-tipped SSTs.
    When was the last time an estate asked you about your red tipped sst's ?

Tim.243
    A lot of people often refer to the past, but don’t shoot in the present…..

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Just tell them it's OK as they're not sst but Amax !!
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

I prefer Sierra 130 bt-sp 2'700 fps for woodland 2'900 for hill stalking I was not impressed by the sst bullet's.

Sierra 130 SP for me too. Over 54 grains of H4831 with a CCI primer
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

SD Regular
    When was the last time an estate asked you about your red tipped sst's ?
    I don't have that issue. I was pre-warned when I booked stalking in Scotland many years ago...even though I didn't and have never used them. On saying I'd be bringing a .270 I was then made aware of the issue. Very politely it was advised "That's fine but no Hornady SST please."

And most when booking when saying on the 'phone they'll be using their own rifle will add the words "with standard soft point bullets...I trust they're OK?"

I'm guessing, if you're not aware of it, that you don't do a lot of hill stalking in Scotland then?
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 22-11-2016 at 18:30.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    I don't have that issue. I was pre-warned when I booked stalking in Scotland many years ago...even though I didn't and have never used them. On saying I'd be bringing a .270 I was then made aware of the issue. Very politely it was advised "That's fine but no Hornady SST please."

And most when booking when saying on the 'phone they'll be using their own rifle will add the words "with standard soft point bullets...I trust they're OK?"

I'm guessing, if you're not aware of it, that you don't do a lot of hill stalking in Scotland then?
    I booked stalking in Scotland many years ago...

Sounds like a re run of the good old days......

I have shot 4 out of the 6 with in 30 miles of home, being told you cant use the round you want to is good enough reason not to go............

Tim.243
    A lot of people often refer to the past, but don’t shoot in the present…..

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

SD Regular
    Being told you can't use the round you want to is good enough reason not to go
    Some estates don't like them. They fear their reputation for excessive carcass damage.

It's their land, their beast, their rules. Same as asking about fibre or plastic wads on a shoot.

Or using non-toxic shot on a duck drive so the shoot isn't sending illegally killed duck to market.

Asking about and complying with that request shows maturity, courtesy to others and good manners.

Which some, it might appear, by the continued nature of their posts, clearly seem lacking in.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 22-11-2016 at 20:30.