Thread: Pregnant bitch in pain.

Pregnant bitch in pain.

My Cocker bitch is 39 days after mating and all signs are that she's pregnant.
    A few days ago and this afternoon she has suddenly started yelping as though in severe pain. It lasts for maybe five or ten seconds and then she's absolutely fine again.
    She hasn't had any strenuous work and is eating and drinking as usual.
    She went to the vets for a check up yesterday and I mentioned it but the vet didn't really have an answer as it, at the time, was a one off. There were no problems at the check up.
    Now it's happened a couple of times I'm a little more concerned.
    Has anyone else experienced similar?
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Jedward. The reason why there are two barrels on a shotgun.

Sorry, no suggestions I'm afraid. The list for sudden pain is varied and, with very little to go on, I'm not going to guess! IF she's doing everything else normally, just monitor and maybe keep exercise steady (if steady can ever be applied to a cocker)

Hi,
    just a long shot but what is her temperament like? I've bred lots of working cockers and never seen this but I have had some cockers that are real softies and may well have done this when they felt the puppies move. Just a thought.

Ian

Thanks for the replies Gents. I've asked in a few places and the general consensus is that it's puppies moving or maybe trapping a nerve.
    She is a complete pansy so I would agree that her soft temperament may well be making her over react when she feels something going on in her guts.
    I'll just keep my eye on her and make sure there are no other symptoms or signs that something else is wrong.
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

At 39 days the pups are no more than the size of your thumb. I doubt it's them!

To be honest, that's exactly what I thought but I have posted the same information in several places and yet the overwhelming opinion is that this is likely the cause.
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

I've had a bit of a search and can find nothing that relates to pain from a normal pregnancy at this stage. The pups are too small to stretch anything.