Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sphagnum

Sphagnum

Well, not just sphagnum but this is mostly bryophytes and there is a lot of sphagnum plus polytrichum which is the star shaped green stuff that can look like little trees. Sometimes those of us who spend a lot of time walking on the moor forget that we are tramping over this stuff all day every day but it is actually quite interesting in its own right. At this time of year it can also be quite colourful so here are a few photos of something we all spend our days walking on...

For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Great photos, thanks for sharing them.

Hiya

Thank you for sharing your photos - cracking to say the least!

L

The world, but miniaturised! Thanks for taking the time to take and post them. Are the sphagnums actually mosses, or related to them?

Great pictures and gives an interesting insight into what is normally disregarded.

Great photo! A great reminder that there is so much to look at that you could just step over!

Quote Originally Posted by oager View Post
    The world, but miniaturised! Thanks for taking the time to take and post them. Are the sphagnums actually mosses, or related to them?
    Sphagnum and mosses are considered to be bryophytes. I don't think this collective name has any specific scientific meaning but it is in common use to group together all those non vascular plants. Sphagnum is also commonly called sphagnum moss and to be honest I don't know if the term moss has a firm scientific meaning. There are a lot of people in science who get worked up over names and I think moss does just as well for sphagnum as any other name :-)

thank you to everyone who commented, I'm glad everyone enjoyed the photos and, of course, all this stuff is just there under your feet so it is simply a matter of pointing the camera down and pressing the button. It is also the building block of most of our peat lands so in one way it is really quite interesting stuff.

Really enjoyed that Caorach - thanks.

10th photo - was that a slime mould?
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JockStalk View Post
    Really enjoyed that Caorach - thanks.

10th photo - was that a slime mould?
    yes it is slime mould. It is easy to see when it is bright yellow like this but it usually goes a brown colour and then you'd never notice it. Interesting stuff as I'm told some plants are made up of a single cell, no idea how that works.