Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lapua to produce 6.5 Creedmoor brass

Lapua to produce 6.5 Creedmoor brass

Today's announcement:
    http://www.lapua.com/en/headlines/33...edmoor-is-here

With smaller diameter flash hole (1.5mm, rather than the industry standard 2.0mm)

Available in Q1 2017
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm - Z6i 3-18x50. Sako P94S .22lr
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Does that smaller flash hole have anything to do with your choice of user name?

What's the benefit of the smaller flash hole? I'm aware they're used on the 6.5 x 47 Lapua

Quote Originally Posted by tacklerat View Post
    Does that smaller flash hole have anything to do with your choice of user name?
    Higher pitch, longer duration....

Quote Originally Posted by adriandavidb View Post
    What's the benefit of the smaller flash hole? I'm aware they're used on the 6.5 x 47 Lapua
    The brass can withstand higher pressures so the cartridge performs better than its size would suggest and also brass lasts longer for reloading as the head is stronger and primer pockets stretching is reduced.

Iwonder if if this will have an effect on 6.5x47 sales as in essence this new Creedmore case would be an almost better version of the 6.5x47?

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    Iwonder if if this will have an effect on 6.5x47 sales as in essence this new Creedmore case would be an almost better version of the 6.5x47?
    It depends what you mean by better. The 6.5x47 was designed to offer better ballistics than the 6mmBR for 300m CISM matches. The 6.5 Creedmoor was designed for 600 yard NRA Highpower matches which also makes it highly usable for PRS matches. Which is better is going to depend on use, rifle set up, etc.

The smaller primer is also thought to give better ignition qualities.
    As to the 6.5 CM as a 600 yard cartridge, it has certainly stepped beyond that in the eyes of the PRS shooters. Six Hundred Yards is almost a chip-shot. Last time I had my CTR out we shot at two distances: 750 to warm up, and 1160 for serious. Whether or not the 6.5 CM becomes the darling of the shooting community, or the 6.5x47 takes that honor, will have little to do with which is "best". More on which is the most popular. IF that's the case, the 6.5 CM seems to have a lead down the opening stretch.~Muir

I've just re-barrelled my 260 in creedmoor and have to say I'm impressed !

the news that lapua are bringing out brass gives me a warm fuzzy feeling !
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Lapua is always good but I'm reserving judgement as to whether or not the small primer pocket is worth the effort. There are so many established accurate loads using LG rifle primers that I would be hesitant to start over again.... Not that it would take long; the Creedmoor is a very accurate round.~Muir

FWIW Lapua also produce the .308 Palma case, which has a small flash hole.