Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quail?

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA

Quail?

I have not herd mention of quail in the UK, is there any there? Seems like bobwhite quail would make it there.

Plenty of farmed and pet quail but as far as I'm aware no wild populations

I've been shooting quail over pointers in East Lothian. There were a couple of wild coveys around but I must admit to declining the shots offered; they seemed to be smaller than starlings & I couldn't really see the point of shooting them other than to say that you'd done it. There were loads of coveys of Grey partridge & they were far more fun to hunt; we would allow ourselves one brace each per year.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    What kind of quail are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    I've been shooting quail over pointers in East Lothian. There were a couple of wild coveys around but I must admit to declining the shots offered; they seemed to be smaller than starlings & I couldn't really see the point of shooting them other than to say that you'd done it. There were loads of coveys of Grey partridge & they were far more fun to hunt; we would allow ourselves one brace each per year.

Yes we do have quail it is a summer migrant although there may be a few resident .

F

Years ago I tried quail on a shoot I was keepering, all went well till release, I took a lot of trouble filtering them out, never saw them again!

Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    Years ago I tried quail on a shoot I was keepering, all went well till release, I took a lot of trouble filtering them out, never saw them again!

When I was a kid back in the 80's I remember trying to see Quail around Prawle Point, South Devon, which I think I had heard about through the local Birdwatching clubs atlas or the yearly report. I didn't see them then and I don't know if they are still there

Cheers

Siggy.

Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    Likewise - during the 80s we reared 150 Bobwhite Quail in my local gun club. Once released we never saw them again! Maybe they dropped of exhaustion in mid Atlantic as they headed back for the US!!!

SD Regular
    Errm...is it not illegal to shoot anything that is a wild bird living free in the UK that isn't actually ON the quarry list.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Errm...is it not illegal to shoot anything that is a wild bird living free in the UK that isn't actually ON the quarry list.
    Glad I didn't do it then. They were escapees from a quail egg venture I believe.