Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expensive way to cut string

Expensive way to cut string

I bought some Hardox gongs and was keen to try them out with the .308 today. I'd painted them white and not done a very neat job but I didn't expect the paint to last all that long.

Drove a couple of stakes into the ground and strung one of them up, held up by some stout jute string (because hadn't been able to buy the intended chain just yet). First hit sent the target flying back into the backstop, snapping both strings. I then pinned the gong to the pallet I use to hold my normal target, using a spring clamp. There is now a pretty target shaped impact in the pallet (or what's left of it).

I reset, this time using a reel of 3mm starter cord, which is pretty tough stuff. Because it seemed a bit wasteful cutting it for such a short trial, I strung the target up using a continuous piece, leaving the rest of the reel at the base.

Any...way... the splatter from the 150gr VMAX hitting the target not only stripped the paint beautifully clean but it also cut the string and destroyed most of the reel too. I notice one of the fairly hefty shackles I had was damaged quite noticeably too. There are shallow dents in the Hardox but nothing too significant. I've since bought some chain which I hope will be stout enough to take the impact.

Goes to show the forces involved in the splatter - I'd better make sure I build a side stop now too in order to contain it!

Don't bet on the chain.... My well known shooting buddy made up a couple of plates and stands. He dutifully drove off 'down range' to 2 & 300 metres. Came back, set up and my third round shattered the chain ...

Make a U shaped bracket with a lip on it, weld that to a stake and slip the gong in from the top!

Like a horse shoe with a bit of flat bar pulled around the edge to create the lip, your gong will sit in there and you can shoot the **** out of it..........

I use mild steel plate as you can see the crater/strike through the scope, only time I go if I pulled a shot on a long fox so put the plate out to 200 in the morning to find the gun is spot on just operator error....

Tim.243
    A lot of people often refer to the past, but don’t shoot in the present…..

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

I use old mud flaps, conveyer belt, or braided lay flat hose (fire truck hose).

Chain won't do nowt bud when hit with the 308,

apart from errrrrrrr...........

come apart lol lol,

speaks the the voice of experience lol, ( hardox gong on 8mm thick chain) , let's see if we can hit the chain,BANG!!! oh poo I've snapped the chain, it's a long walk to reset it lol

just dont hit the chain

kjf

D shackles from tool station are a couple of quid for 10 and a length of galvanised chain is cheap to replace them if needs be. Definitely keep the target free swinging to reduce the impact forces. Also if you hang the chain from the rear of the target it will direct the splash down into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    D shackles from tool station are a couple of quid for 10 and a length of galvanised chain is cheap to replace them if needs be. Definitely keep the target free swinging to reduce the impact forces. Also if you hang the chain from the rear of the target it will direct the splash down into the ground.

I will buy some more from Toolstation - local hardware shop wanted nearly £2 each!

Can't hang the chain from the rear - targets are shaped like Mickey Mouse with hanging holes for ears. Bought some 4mm chain which was cheap enough. If it doesn't last then I'll look at upgrading it but I'm guessing it's going to be stronger than the wooden stakes I'm using anyway!

I've used lifting eyes in the past with a nut and washer on the front of the target and the eye to the rear to give the necessary downward angle. This is especially useful if used at 100m or less as it really helps reduce the impact on the target especially if it's a large heavy target.

In my experience chain lasts about 3 shots. I have now changed to coach bolts washers and webbing

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    In my experience chain lasts about 3 shots. I have now changed to coach bolts washers and webbing
    What calibre is that with? I'm hoping with .223 it'll take the strain as can't afford to shoot massive amounts with the .308 even though I'm reloading!