MPG in your 4x4

Tikka595

Need some feed back guys,
I am looking at replacing my Tired D40 Navara for a 2010 or 2012 Toyota Hilux 3.0 invincible auto
but I am concerned about the genuine fuel consumption,as I would my only every day vehicle.
what should I really expect to see as my average MPG
i am told 32mpg but read 24mpg..
your feed back would be appreciated
or suggestiions on what 4x4 has a good mpg feed back
thanks for your input
Tikka595

26.8mpg over last three tanks. This is country lane driving I can get 30-32 on a long run if I stick to 70mph

I get over 30mpg with my 3lt HL3 auto. By far the best vehicle I've ever owned, fuel costs are but one of the benefits, I've owned it coming up 3 years and it's cost me nothing aside from basic servicing costs, it's also depreciated by just £1k since I've owned it (supposedly). I wouldn't have anything else.

Meant to say, choice of tyre will clearly make a big difference on fuel consumption. Mine runs on road tyres currently but will be getting a set of BFG A/T2 fairly soon.

Hello not sure about the invincible but I get 32 from the HL2. Have ha d ford rangers & mitsibushi L200 but now I have had the Toyota I would never go back to either of these

I have a 2012 amarok, I was getting 30-32 mpg before i had it chipped. Am now getting an extra 25bhp and doing 38-41 mpg and loving it

My 4.0 Jeep can get 18 mpg in 'ideal' conditions. Around town I get 13 mpg. I went to North Devon on holiday this year. There was a long hill (5 miles), the best I got was 6 mpg according to the onboard computer. I floored it on a slip road once, 4 mpg but it didn't half shift!

Old 54 plate L200, high twenties - never more than thirty. 16 plate 2.2 Ranger 19.7 mostly but had it to the dizzy mpg of 23.7 very dissapointed with the Ranger. My old 58 plate one wax returning 30 doing the exact same job. Newer is not always better

Regards buying a hilux just remember that the 2011 onwards facelift model has a DPF diesel filter

i have a last of line 2011 pre facelift invincible 3.0 and I get about 28-30 knocking about and over 30 on the motorway I have 265-65-17 general grabbers the older style

Regards buying a hilux just remember that the 2011 onwards facelift model has a DPF diesel filter

i have a last of line 2011 pre facelift invincible 3.0 and I get about 28-30 knocking about and over 30 on the motorway I have 265-65-17 general grabbers the older style
Whats the problem with having a dpf ?
Unless you only do short trips where it doesn't get hot, its fine. Though is a bit whiffy when on a regen.

My 2015 invincible x is averaging 28.8 over 18500 miles as worked out on my fuel card bills, thats doing 60 miles a day, plus plenty of foxing at night which knocks it down some, often running at max weight, on 265/70 17 bfg at's.
On a run it does 34+ if i drive steady, or around 29 at 80mph.
Have seen 37mpg on the odd occasion.
2d0d04ca93927ff2a37fc4f511df4ef7.jpg

Nissan navara 42 mpg with decent mud and snow tyres. i went for a non dpf as i run a fleet of Transits and all have had faults in under a year of service. all were driven correctly.
only hassle i have had with the nav was the clutch. which i swapped for a solid fly wheel. no problems.

32 mpg ish with my D40....a lot less when pulling a well laden trailer up some of the island's steeper hills or when in 4wd

I have a 2012 amarok, I was getting 30-32 mpg before i had it chipped. Am now getting an extra 25bhp and doing 38-41 mpg and loving it

Curious, is the increased fuel economy based on the on board computer, or based on brimming the tank, driving XXX miles, brimming the tank, and working out how many miles you're getting ?

I have a 2003 Disco 2 and for the last 10,000 miles I've got 26.8 mpg.

How do I know this? I log every fill up on a website called Fuelly.

http://www.fuelly.com/

It's a useful site as it records the average of a particular make, model and engine combination from real drivers instead of manufacturer data.

Thanks everyone..
I drive 56miles round trip each day to work which is the main issue. total year is 20,000miles
I have a Subaru outback diesel 40/45mpg but it just died, my D40 Nissan has 170k on the clock and is a great shooting truck for local journeys
but not great on fuel,
my thinking was just one vehicle, Buy a reasonable Hilux or alike and just pay the extra fuel bills, I was hoping that it would do 30mpg,
only having running costs for one vehicle, would cover the extra fuel ect..
thanks for all your answers and comments I will procrastinate and come up with a plan..:)
Tikka595

2009 Mazda BT50 2.5TDI gives me a very consistent 34mpg. I have AT tyres, don't tow anything, mixture of A and B roads, stick to the speed limit and rarely go over 60mph. On a motorway run at 60mph and following HGVs I managed 44mpg for a 200 mile journey. How heavy your right foot is, what tyres you use, if you tow and if you go off road all have a huge impact on what each individual will achieve.

Back