Sad state of our times

Wingy

Daughter, age 6 has been doing drama at school & next theme is cowboys / cowgirls & Western.
Cool I thought easy enough costume & she can take her toy shotgun & caps.
Mrs points out on the letter in capitals "NO TOY GUNS TO BE BROUGHT INTO SCHOOL" what a joke. A western with no guns. Guess that also includes her real shotgun as well.
So any suggestions?
I've come up with 2.
Wrap her in a brown paper bag & take a bowl of rice, tell teacher she's an Indian. Or
Wear her Spanish flamenco dress and say she's a saloon hooker.
Wingy

A native american with a bow and arrow, could be far more of a handful than a cow girl with a toy gun.

Are children allowed pencil sharpeners these days... :D

(Who would have thought that there could be mention on here, of bows and arrows, that stands a chance of not ending up with a bun fight!)

I hope there are knives over 3inch or tomahawks unsheathed or bows/arrows also included in the list. ....over 18s only.pc gone mad.;)

When I was at school the School Rules did, indeed, state that "firearms, flick knives, Teddy Boy coats, trousers less than so many inches inches (I forget how many) wide at the ankle were banned". Which was odd. 'Cos being written in the 50s and 60s, not up-dated, and us being at school in in the mid-70s those that wished could wear flared trouser or Crombie coats without restriction.

Last edited:
This cant have come as a huge surprise. things have been this way for sometime.

Send her in her usual uniform with a letter saying that cultural appropriation is wrong and you may need some sort of therapy in order to recover from the thought of it :D

Steady on with the 'indian' terminology..... no guns policy is almost certainly my coupled with similarly sad legislation preventing such language! Native American.... please!

You, Wingy, could also out PC the PC by stating that you did not wish, in writing, your daughter to take part in a celebration of what was a "cowboy culture" based on racism, land grabbing and genocide of Native Americans and see what letter comes back!

You, Wingy, could also out PC the PC by stating that you did not wish, in writing, your daughter to take part in a celebration of what was a "cowboy culture" based on racism, land grabbing and genocide of Native Americans and see what letter comes back!

Spot on - tell them you don't want your daughter to be party to "cultural appropriation"

...not forgetting that the term "Squaw" is considered by many, to be offensive as well.

Daughter, age 6 has been doing drama at school & next theme is cowboys / cowgirls & Western.
Cool I thought easy enough costume & she can take her toy shotgun & caps.
Mrs points out on the letter in capitals "NO TOY GUNS TO BE BROUGHT INTO SCHOOL" what a joke. A western with no guns. Guess that also includes her real shotgun as well.
So any suggestions?
I've come up with 2.
Wrap her in a brown paper bag & take a bowl of rice, tell teacher she's an Indian. Or
Wear her Spanish flamenco dress and say she's a saloon hooker.
Wingy

Make up a costume with a some Colt 45's on! She could go as Annie Oakley.......

Large cardboard box, craft knife, sharpie pens.......off you go

Tim.243

Don't tell your daughter, but when I was a boy in Texas, there was a huge trail ride which came by my elementary school each year, the route of an old cattle drive from ranch to market. They still do this thing. There would be Gene Autry, Roy and Dale Rogers, Gabby Hayes, John Wayne, all these movie stars, along with stunt riders, rodeo riders, horse lovers off all kinds. The ride lasts for days, and they would sleep on the trail outside of town, eating from the chuck wagons.

It was a big deal, and the teachers used to let us wear all our boots, hats, gun belts, cap guns, spurs, vests, and chaps. We had to take off a spurs and hang our gun belts and hats on our coat pegs, which was just fine, because it was the way they did in the movies when they came into the saloon.

I know fellows may age from out in Montana and Wyoming who would ride to school on their bicycles with shotguns and .22 rifles. The teacher would store them in a broom closet until school let out, so they could go hunt rabbits on the way home.

Oi Wingy take a look at sky's new Westworld you my regret suggesting a saloon hooker, can't she go as a ninja cowgirl so no guns but the letter didn't say anything about no to throwing stars and nunchucks lol bazil

I know fellows may age from out in Montana and Wyoming who would ride to school on their bicycles with shotguns and .22 rifles.

Southern, someone told me that in the USA the child got a .22 Rimfire on its twelfth BIRTHDAY and a shot gun on its twelfth CHRISTMAS. Is this correct? Or the other way around?

I know my late father got, here in England, a shot gun on his twelfth birthday. In 1919. And still in the family.

Last edited:
Dress her in a Sari, put a red dot on her forehead and send her to school as an "Indian". When the teacher calls you can say you misunderstood their muddle instructions!

Cootmeurer LOL!

Or dress her in running shorts, vest and spikes, dye her hair, like Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and say that other than the words "West" and "Indian" everything else got lost in translation...there you go..

View attachment 76729

Last edited:
...not forgetting that the term "Squaw" is considered by many, to be offensive as well.

Extremely , my sister in law is Algonquin , my best friend ( and best man , many years ago ) is the great to the fourth or fifth , grandson of Gabriel Dumont ( Red River Rebellion , google it ) . His wife is Pagan ( Blackfoot ) . The use of that word will rapidly render you unconscious if used in their company . Most people here say First Nations , or in my case , family lol .

AB

PS Cowboys without sixguns are called " Farmers " he he

Southern, someone told me that in the USA the child got a .22 Rimfire on its twelfth BIRTHDAY and a shot gun on its twelfth CHRISTMAS. Is this correct? Or the other way around?

I know my late father got, here in England, a shot gun on his twelfth birthday. In 1919. And still in the family.
I got my very own single shot .22 at Christmas, age nine. At age 12, I got a SxS 16 gauge shotgun. At 14, I got a Marlin 99C semiauto .22, which I still have, and hunt with every year.

In between, I bought a No.5 Jungle Carbine and a Webley .455 handgun and began my gun trading with other boys.

CHECK THESE ADS, mostly from the 1950s and 1960s:
19 Classic Gun Ads Which Show What We've Lost to Political Correctness
http://tribunist.com/guns/19-classi...lost-to-political-correctness/?utm_source=GSL

PS: The tradition of receiving a first rifle or shotgun on a boy's twelfth birthday is a tradition brought to America from England, Scotland and the German states. Many settlers only had muskets up through the 1860s, which could be loaded as shotguns as well as a single ball and patch.

Boys in England received their own bow an arrows, and a dagger at age twelve. Some became vassals to knights and learned how to handle other weapons, armor and horses. Twelve was the gateway to manhood.

Last edited:
Back