M03 Mauser

big ears

Looking at one of these rifles. Is it feasible to run 223,6.5x55&30-06 from one stock or can you not mix small and large calibre?

Looking at one of these rifles. Is it feasible to run 223,6.5x55 & 30-06 from one stock or can you not mix small and large calibre?

I have a Mauser MO3, and I shoot 6.5 x 55 Swedish and .30-06 using the same bolt head and the same magazines, you only need to change the barrels as these are both designated as 'STANDARD' calibres which use magazines type 'C' (ref: https://www.mauser.com/fileadmin/user_upload/MAU_Calibers_M03_DE_2015_2016.pdf). I use one scope in a Mauser mount zeroed for the 6.5 x 55 barrel and another scope in a Mauser mount zeroed for the .30-06 barrel to make interchanging easier.

.223 Remington is a 'MINI' calibre which requires a magazine type 'A' and a different bolt head.

For the cost of the M03, 3 no. barrels, 3 no. scope mounts (?), magazine and bolt head for the .223 Rem, you could probably buy 3 no. Mauser M12 rifles.

Regards,

John

Thanks, sounds a fair point. Is there Much to choose between m12 and m03?

My stalking partner has a Mauser M12 in .270 Winchester and he shoots very well with it.

I bought my Mauser M03 Extreme because it was a left-handed bolt and it had a set trigger, which I prefer.

I highly rate German guns. I have a Sauer 202 in .243 Win with a set trigger, and it shoots really well. I would expect the Mauser M12 to have the same build quality as the Mauser M03.

Check out the Sauer 101 if you decide to go for 3 rifles without interchangeable barrels.

Do you know Steve Beaty at Ivythorn Sporting? He is based near Street in Somerset. He is a great guy and you could spend a day at his place talking about guns and test firing his second hand stock on his 100 yard range. It would be well worth your time and help you to check out your options.

Cheers,

John

Cheers john. I do know Steve a real top bloke and was planning to go up there. Just trying to draw up a good short list. Think adding 223 is s step to far so may keep my 223 and look to limit the switch barrel options to 6.5&30-06. Short list looks like sauer, S&L and Mauser.

Thanks, sounds a fair point. Is there Much to choose between m12 and m03?

I think the price is the biggest factor. I would love an M03 but for the price I bought an M12 and a trip to Africa to use it.
Nothing wrong with the M12, a decent no nonsense rifle with superb action and trigger but the M03 is just a nicer all round gun with the bonus of being able to switch barrels.

If you do a lot of travelling then the M03 is the one. I have 6.5x55 and 9.3x62 barrels, both use same magazine and bolt head. Two sets of mounts and scopes.

To many times have I seen a collection of rifle cases not being able to fit into a car on arrival at foreign airport.

Stan

I own an extreme M03 and to be fair I don't break it down very often if ever not that I'm bothered as its just a great quality rifle that feels good to use

-solid stock
-fantastic trigger.
-you can decock the bolt rather than a trigger safety which is better
-if you decide to change calibres it's cheaper than buying another quality rifle

I own an extreme M03 and to be fair I don't break it down very often if ever not that I'm bothered as its just a great quality rifle that feels good to use

-solid stock
-fantastic trigger.
-you can decock the bolt rather than a trigger safety which is better
-if you decide to change calibres it's cheaper than buying another quality rifle
That's where I'm at with switch barrels. My main calibre is 6.5x55 but I do use 30 cal and have a yearning to go after elk! Mo3 on the short list. Think I need to shoulder a few and see.

I do use 30 cal and have a yearning to go after elk! Think I need to shoulder a few and see.
Agreed, shoulder some first, if you decide to walk up a few mountains chasing Elk then i would also take into account the weight of rifle, it makes a difference when you spend 10 hours in the mountains.
Cheers
Richard

I heard somewhere that m12 is difficult to re-barrel, as the barrel is 'sweated' on; anyone got any further information?

I belive its induction heated on.. meaning they heat up the front of the action, the metal expands and the barrel is pushed into the reciver. Sealing it when it cools again.

They do the same thing to the "tail of aircrafts" so its pretty sturdy solution.

The only thing I have against the M12, Sauer 100/101, is the irritating mounting solution. I hate mounting bases with screws.
That is why I vastly prefer integreated bases on the action, ala Sako/Tikka/CZ.

I was myself considering the M03, but I belive I will rather go with 3 Tikka T3x. 222/308/9,3x62 with McMillan stocks.

I initially got my M03 Extreme in 6.5x55. I had spaces for 22.250, .243 and .308 as well. I knew that the costs of the barrels were high so I just waited. Didn't have to wait long. Got the 22.250 for a very reasonable £600, unused, threaded for a M14 spiggoted (same as my 6.5) so my Riflecraft gen3 mod fits.
I know that I could just get extra rifles, but by this method, I cut down on gunsafe space and I can have extra rifles..........
reason being when the FLO argued why I wanted so many rifles, I pointed out to him, I can only shoot one at a time, if I want to shoot another calibre I HAVE to remove the barrel and swap it! He couldn't argue that!!
:D

Back