Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 50grain Sierra BlitzKing in a 1:14 .222

50grain Sierra BlitzKing in a 1:14 .222

Has anyone experience of the above combination? I've just started reloading the .222 and after the first initial tests I found the groups disappointing to say the least. The only group that shows any promise was the max load of CFE223 at 26.2 grains. My concern is that the bullet is a bit too long to stabilise with the velocities I've got so far giving me the options of carefully going over max load to see if that tightens the group, try a different powder or drop a bullet weight?

I've got nearly 400 of these blitzkings so I'd like to work up a load that does work rather than flog them on and start with a lighter/shorter bullet so hopefully someone here has got this combo to work. The rifle is going to be for foxes and varmints out to 300m so I want an accurate bullet but one that still has some energy down range.

I've shot hundreds of these from a 14 twist 222, very accurate and easy to work up a load. I use 21 grains of Reloder 7. Try working on seating depth rather than just the powder charge.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

What rifle?
    i shot 50gr and 52gr boat tail ballistic tips in a 1:14" Brno but the same loads wouldn't work in a Sako with 1:14"
    when I measured the twist it looks slightly more than 1:14" but it is difficult to get an accurate reading

i now use 45gr sbk I also use 60gr flat base soft points

i had 400 52gr Amax to shift when I discovered!
    no amount of oal or charge weight improved the groups
    the Bullets were spiralling creating puckered entry holes

pulling the tips to shorten the length demonstrated instant stability

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...Sako+52gr+Amax

Seating depth was going to be one variable once I got a reasonable looking group. Currently they're at 2.130 and at that they only just fit into the magazine so they'd only be able to be seated deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    Seating depth was going to be one variable once I got a reasonable looking group. Currently they're at 2.130 and at that they only just fit into the magazine so they'd only be able to be seated deeper.
    You need to find an accurate node before you adjust oal

It is a Weihrauch HW60. I had hoped that I'd find a node through the first lot of testing but maybe more work is required. From looking on the Sierra data they actually recommend an OAL of 2.125 so a bit shorter anyway. I will probably load the next batch of test ammo to that oal and see what some slightly over max charges show. If all that fails I will likely move down to a 45 grain or a shorter 50grain.

Attachment 76748Attachment 76749Attachment 76750

These are the groups. The third one is the max load group and also a few shots with the PPU factory ammo which wasn't good at all. Some Winchester 50grain factory ammo is shooting about 1moa so I'm happy the rifle and myself are not too much at fault. Also ithe was particularly windy but coming from almost directly behind me just over my right shoulder.

Nothing wrong with 26.2 group
    shoot some more to confirm
    fine tune either side 26 an drew 26.4
    if either show better group size tweak oal

almost all my load development groups show 2 shots together and one off, just like that

my CZ 222 loves them, 23.5gr of viht N133

Thanks Bewsher, I'll try and load a few more at 26.2 and some above too and shoot larger groups to confirm if either are better and where to work next.