50grain Sierra BlitzKing in a 1:14 .222

From left to right, so starting at lowest and going up. I let the barrel cool between groups and was using a bipod and rear bag. Probably should have shot in more of a round robin way to eliminate or reduce barrel temp issues.

From left to right, so starting at lowest and going up. I let the barrel cool between groups and was using a bipod and rear bag. Probably should have shot in more of a round robin way to eliminate or reduce barrel temp issues.

I was thinking more of which shots correspond to which holes on the 26.8 group

are they walking one after the other in the same direction?

Ah ok, it was quite hard to see through the scope but I do think remember thinking they were creeping up, more of a random place in the string.

View attachment 78428

Bit of an update on this reloading business for my 222.

The final group I settled on was 26.8 as can be seen from the previous targets I attached. After zeroing properly I went out and shot a few squirrels out to 150yards. Missed one completely at around 100 but then hit one closer and then a couple further away. Slightly disappointed with the terminal results, small entry/exit not a lot of damage. Maybe they're not going fast enough or not enough meat to cause expansion?

So after the misses I went out to check zero. Group A shows poi was low so I adjusted 1" right and .75" up. This was a cold barrel straight from the cabinet.

Those next groups I allowed the barrel to cool completely and then fired them. The rounds went one, then one high then one back down near the first.

Do I continue down developing this bullet powder combo or switch to a lighter bullet more suited to rabbits and foxes (out to 300 yards max) or maybe a 50grain bullet but with a flat Base so it's shorter?

Or stick with the bullet and try different powder (I have Ramshot Xterminator) or go for a more common powder bullet choice? Seems reloader 7, N130 or H4198 seem to be mentioned a lot with good 222 loads?

At one time the world 200 yard bench rest small group was held with .222 using a 52 or 53 grain flat based match bullet and 4198. It would be hard to shake the logic that might point to that place as a starting point.

Frankly, I am bewildered as to the lack of accuracy you are getting from a quality triple deuce. I have owned many, from cheap single shots to SAKO Bench rest rifles, and they all shot very well with no particular fuss; basically, if the bullet made it out the end of the barrel it grouped sub MOA, at least. I have a Thompson Center single shot .222 pistol that will shoot rings around your best grouping and my old Winchester will best that. I don't believe the blitz king are at fault, exactly, but something is amiss. Try a different bullet -a Sierra Match flat base is great (one of my favorites)- and seat the bullets to recommended OAL accompanying the charge data. If you have a factory crimp die, crimp half of your rounds. Oh! And pick a starting charge and stay with it. Just shoot the rifle with that load. Lastly, I don't know what scope you are using currently but those targets you are using are far too small of me, at least. Shoot at a bullseye you can plainly center in the scope. Good luck.~Muir

Thanks Muir. It has a Vortex 6-24 PST on it so the targets, although small are easily visible. When I first loaded for my 243 I thought "wow this is easy" after choosing the first bullet and powder combination and getting perfect results. I'm now thinking this was more luck as the possible combinations lead me to now seem unable to make up my mind! My local gun shop has H4198 but not IMR4198, so may start there with a known powder and then try some different bullets.

Thanks Muir. It has a Vortex 6-24 PST on it so the targets, although small are easily visible. When I first loaded for my 243 I thought "wow this is easy" after choosing the first bullet and powder combination and getting perfect results. I'm now thinking this was more luck as the possible combinations lead me to now seem unable to make up my mind! My local gun shop has H4198 but not IMR4198, so may start there with a known powder and then try some different bullets.

Send me your address. I've got a few surplus 53gr Sierra matchkings that I'll send you. They're very accurate in my rifle so it would be worth giving them a try before you go mad getting the blitzkings to shoot well.

In all honesty..... when you look at the group with factory winchester why bother reloading? Try a box of 40 grain ammo and see how that performs... hornady vmax factory are good..
If the vmax shoot as good as the Winchester you have yourself a small deer and fox round and a fox crow bunny round.

I was going to start loading for the 222 but as it shoots 50 grain and 40 grain ammo within an inch I'll not bother..... I'll just concentrate on loading for the 7x57

I would give the x-terminator a go, have had very good success with that powder in 223 with 50 grain which I would imagine would work just the same in 222.

I would also make sure the barrel is really well cleaned, I am sure you have but just to rule it out.

Do I continue down developing this bullet powder combo or switch to a lighter bullet more suited to rabbits and foxes (out to 300 yards max) or maybe a 50grain bullet but with a flat Base so it's shorter?

Or stick with the bullet and try different powder (I have Ramshot Xterminator) or go for a more common powder bullet choice? Seems reloader 7, N130 or H4198 seem to be mentioned a lot with good 222 loads?

try a different combo
I had to switch powder and bullets to get my sako to perform

those groups say nothing about the potential of a load

Thanks for your comments guys and thanks for the offer of bullets Takbok (I'll PM later). The Winchester do group pretty well but I can reload a decent Sierra bullet for £9.40 per 20 rounds so well under half price of the factory ammo and although frustrating I do actually like reloading.

I can get H4198 locally so I think I will try that too as it should be good in the 308 too. I will try the Xterminator as I have most of a tub left from some Barnes TSX loads I tried in the 308 but decided not to pursue in favour of a more conventional bullet. The frustrating part is not having regular access to a range so I can't pop out and test after tweaking loads from the previous session.

I did some tests with seating depts in the past in my 243. I discovered that coming closer to the lands made my groups worse. By closer I mean 0,050" of the lands ( 50 thou) , wich is about 1,25mm . I now just use the COAL from the reloading manuals and it's just fine.

Last edited:
Back