Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalking apprentice

Stalking apprentice

Good evening, I'm just beginning my stalking career, it's something I've always wanted to do in conjunction with rifle shooting. I'm currently waiting on my application for firearms license to come back round and in the new year I will be looking at doing my stalking courses and also becoming a member of nearby rifle ranges. I'm looking at a Remington 700 in .308, hopefully a Police (availability seems scarce new) or I will 'make my own' with a H-S Precision stock and a SPS Varmint.
    I'll be looking to pick your brains for information and hopefully in time I'll be knowledgeable enough to contribute in turn.

Hi Rory
    Welcome to the forum, it sounds like you have done your homework and taken the rights steps towards getting into shooting / stalking, best of luck finding the right gun
    you do realise it will be the first of many
    Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    I'm currently waiting on my application for firearms license to come back.
    When did you send off your FAC, as being Essex you could be in for a bit of a wait...

Welcome to the SD

Quote Originally Posted by Ray7756 View Post
    Hi Rory
    Welcome to the forum, it sounds like you have done your homework and taken the rights steps towards getting into shooting / stalking, best of luck finding the right gun
    you do realise it will be the first of many
    Cheers
    Ray
    Thanks for the welcome,I hope it will be the first of many!

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Richy View Post
    When did you send off your FAC, as being Essex you could be in for a bit of a wait...

Welcome to the SD
    Thanks, I applied in June, there is a 40 week waiting list...

Welcome to the site mate. And don't want to spoil the party, but my fac took 53 weeks. Essex police.

Welcome from another Rory!

welcome.

have you looked at the dsc1?

Well best of luck there. Welcome to the magical world of getting up early, getting bitten to death and seeing nothing.

I'm kidding. Even the days when you don't see an a**e are special.

May I ask what drew you to a Remmy 700. I can't say it would be my first choice. I have 13 rifles one of them being a Rem 700 PSS and it's the ONLY one I have never stalked with. That is if by Police you mean the PSS. I even had my barrel fluted and I still wouldn't stalk with it. Personally I prefer a rifle with a safety that locks the bolt. Everyone I know with a Remington who stalks has caught the bolt and flicked it open. Not least to mention the PSS is a heavy beast.

I'm absolutely not saying your choice is wrong. I'm just posing the question. As you're new to this and it's (presumably) your first rifle, you may not be aware of all the points to consider. The PSS doesn't come in stainless either of course.

Nothing wrong with the choice of cartridge. A good all-rounder and cheap to feed with a wide range of ammo to pick from to get the best out of it.

Thanks for the welcome guys. takbok - Suid Afrikaaner?!
    Chris J - I am drawn to the 700 Police or PSS in parts due to simplicity, reliability and accuracy. As I will also be shooting on the range I appreciate the barrel length and rigidity it will offer, but at the same time I'm cognisant of the length when stalking. I weigh it up against the probable length of a shorter barrel with a moderator. I appreciate your points though, and I had not considered the non-locking bolt aspect.