Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adelaide (Aus) has a huge Pom population

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available

Adelaide (Aus) has a huge Pom population

So this may be of interest to some of you members with family there.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-2...elaide/8061430
    04-07-2018, 19:32I must admit i read a lot of john's dog posts above and just cringe when i read them .........Countryboy 04-07-201804-07-2018, 19:32

It amazes me as to how many Aussies are lurking on this forum as members of the Secret Squirrel Society.

I`ve got family in New South Wales .. is that nearby?
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who shoots sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Get a cull organised

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I`ve got family in New South Wales .. is that nearby?
    With regard to distances in Australia, 'nearby' is a matter of personal perspective. Adelaide is about 150 miles from the nearest bit of NSW, which in turn varies from 550 -750 miles, east to west. Your relatives could be as much as 950 miles away from any snakes in Adelaide. Not that it matters much, as NSW has more than enough lethal fauna of its own...

Poms caught thieving and such like should be put on a galleon and sent to England.

Deer Dog Available
    Quote Originally Posted by .25-06 View Post
    Get a cull organised
    We dont cull poms here,we encourage them...for bait ha ha.

04-07-2018, 19:32I must admit i read a lot of john's dog posts above and just cringe when i read them .........Countryboy 04-07-201804-07-2018, 19:32

It amazes me as to how many Aussies are lurking on this forum as members of the Secret Squirrel Society.

Well....once upon a time you were (mostly) all Poms.

But seriously, what do you do if bitten? Are there places strategically positioned with antidote, or is it a frantic call for an ambulance or dash to the nearest hospital?

Deer Dog Available
    Its a real matter of keeping eyes wide open when walking and being extra careful and vigilant.Many many gardens including right here can have a snake anyfuknwhere including on the door step.
    Little things like you don`t step over a log without looking first,try and stay in the clearer areas, less grassed places etc.Prevention is best but a snake bandage is about all one can do and its not every medical place that carries anti venene.
    Just about every country family has a 'snake tale' or ten and just because you are not seeing them means Jack Shiitt.
    Its not as bad as it sounds as stats show driving the kids to school is fraught with more danger.
    Or getting a mugging on a Saturday night ha ha.
    I have a pair of snake proof chaps that are like wearing the tin mans suit but when I change camera cards in the sambar swamp I feel much better and its time to get them out again.
    The wild black berry bushes are starting to flower,we have an over abundance of them and in a month or so there will be berries galore and that`s when people get it by stepping up to the bushes and reaching without seeing where their feet are.
    I had a short ally ladder with me a few weeks ago to reach a game cam in a tree and my dog pointed a brown,it was up in the classic "ess" ready to rumble so I let it bite the ladder legs then it pist off.We leave them alone when not on the door

step.Attachment 76811

Yep. That looks like the one I ran over on my trail bike, then my wife stopped next to it on the quad! He had a strike at the wheel as the wife accelerated away once she saw it, and that was in winter! Most of the time if you leave them alone they will leave you alone. Except for tiger snakes, they will chase you!

So who's visiting Australia now??

wes

Whatever next? You'll be telling us your spiders are deadly!