Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UV disinfection kit - Who wants one?!

UV disinfection kit - Who wants one?!

If anyone has read last weeks shooting times, you may have noticed the article on venison hygiene. The game dealer uses a combination of UV light to kill airbourne and surface bacteria. The set up costs 7,500 on a butchers scale.

I'm an engineer by trade and I am confident that I could make a smaller, more domestic unit for use in smaller chillers for about 100-150 so I'm just gauging response to see if others would be interested. Let me know you thoughts.

Cheers
    Col

What wave length would you propose to use and what log kill would you expect?

185nm for ozone generation. Something a bit higher for airbourne bacteria. I haven't done any design work yet, just seeing whether there would be an appetite for it at this price point.

Hi Colin,

Would there be potential for your proposed unit to work in a 40ft container chiller?

If yes, I'd be very interested.

I dare say it could be scaled up, but you would be looking like a more industrial application. It will all be based on turn over of air, but I would imagine that I'll end up doing something suitable for a relatively low volume of air, but make it modular so that it can be scaled up for something the size of a container.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea. Id be interested in the outcome.

Hi

I would be interested too.

L

Would there be a need for safety interlocks on the system to prevent radiation on when doors are open etc? I imagine the UV intensity would need to be quite high & hence dangerous to skin & eyesight? One wouldn't want to get blinded or cancer just to ensure that one isn't infected by bacteria on meat. LOL
    Ian

I'd be interested ,
    Say even if something for along the size of a double door drinks chiller ... if that was possible

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Would there be a need for safety interlocks on the system to prevent radiation on when doors are open etc? I imagine the UV intensity would need to be quite high & hence dangerous to skin & eyesight? One wouldn't want to get blinded or cancer just to ensure that one isn't infected by bacteria on meat. LOL
    Ian
    Good point Ian and probably requires a level of clarification. The air in the chiller would be passed over the UV in a black box so to speak, so not visible in any large quantity. The oxygen (O2) in the is broken down in single molecules which are seeking stability and form Ozone (O3). This Ozone then breaks down the cell structure of organisms it comes into contact with (bacteria in this case). You wouldn't want to spend hours inside the chiller as it wouldn't do you any favours, but short exposure isn't an issue.