zero **** with magnification change Meopta Meostar R2 2.5-15 X 56

chrishorner

Good morning All,

After re zeroing my 6.5 x 55 on Saturday on 15 x mag I shot a thumb nail group at 100 yards chuffed with the new Winchester 140 grain soft points group I thought I would practice before I head down to Henley on Thames with my good friend Mark on the Fallow and Muntjac next weekend. I then changed the magnification to 6 x mag and the zero had shifted alarmingly. I have now zeroed at 100 yards on 6 x mag and left it after shooting the same thumbnail group. Now to me the whole idea of having a variable mag scope was one to use in a variety of different situation low mag woodland and hi mag across the valley. Is this anything to worry about or is it normal any help would be great. Musty also say as the light dropped at the range the Meopta drank every bit of possible light and amazed a couple of guys at the range.

Cheers
Chris

Doesn't sound right at all. When the zero shifted after mag change - did you shoot another group, which was OK (other than in the wrong place?). Hot to cold barrel?

Very likely to be that you changed your head position on the stock. Faulty scope will lead to very erratic groups - you wouldn't be getting thumb nails at any magnification.

How far apart were the two groups?

Second focal plane scopes all have a shift. Some are almost zero but if you dig a bit deeper how much the manufacturer allows as being normal you might be shocked. Wonder why snipers use first focal plane.???
edi

Set up a rigid rig aimed at a fixed point far away. Would not be unusual to see aim point wander as the mag is changed or the parallax changed, especially with the adjustable objective ones

Group at 15 x Mag one inch high at 100 yards. Shot low and low by 4 inch at 6 X mag. I feel it could be parallax error I was very consistent with the mounting of the rifle, due to my Carbon Fibre A-Tec moderator I have to let it cool between shots the barrel was clean and all screws tight and torqued correctly.

That is why your scope needs to be optically centered and your zero set using adjustable mounts.

Group at 15 x Mag one inch high at 100 yards. Shot low and low by 4 inch at 6 X mag. I feel it could be parallax error I was very consistent with the mounting of the rifle, due to my Carbon Fibre A-Tec moderator I have to let it cool between shots the barrel was clean and all screws tight and torqued correctly.

Assuming the second PoI is a group and not a single shot, it sounds like there may be an issue with the scope. I would repeat the test and see if repeatable. 5in does not feel like parallax error to me. The only other question is around the dioptre adjustment - how sharp is the reticle in the frame to your eye? Also ensure that the sight picture is as clear as it can be.

If the pattern is repeatable, move to a mid mag (9-12) and see what results you get. It could just be your interpretation of the target at 6x. What size dot are you aiming at?

Eric will go have a practice on Friday scope is super sharp and clear. I shot at 2 targets one paper one and one electronic target that has no "dot" to aim at. I now see that there could be a little difference between the set ups. I must say the two 5 shot groups are 1/2 " so don't think it is a scope issue maybe its me!

Another possibility is that the eye-relief is changing when zoomed. Wouldn't have expected it from a Meopta 2.5-15, but often occurs on 6-24 scopes. Fix rifle -preferably on a led-sled- on target at x15 and slowly zoom back without moving either the rifle or your head, be steadier if a friend does the zooming.

Second focal plane scopes all have a shift. Some are almost zero but if you dig a bit deeper how much the manufacturer allows as being normal you might be shocked. Wonder why snipers use first focal plane.???
edi

That doesnt sound right at all
Apart from Snipers predominantly using FFP to give added ranging capabilities and allow quick Mil adjustments there should be no shift in zero in either mechanism as the reticule is not attached the the zoom mechanism

sounds like you scope is moving the reticule as well as the erector tube

front-and-second-focal-planes-of-the-rifle-scope.png

did it return exactly to where it was before?

Bewsher,
Not correct, go to the trouble and ask scope manufacturers what accuracy they guarantee between low and high mag on their second focal plane scopes.
Some good scope makers would hope to keep it within around 2cm/100m as I understood. Some scopes could be spot on too by coincidence.
edi

Could be all of these reasons but I would factor in the electronic targets. If they are not correctly set up they can cause issues in relation to POI.

Bewsher,
Not correct, go to the trouble and ask scope manufacturers what accuracy they guarantee between low and high mag on their second focal plane scopes.
Some good scope makers would hope to keep it within around 2cm/100m as I understood. Some scopes could be spot on too by coincidence.
edi

Then that is news to me
I have had S&B, Zeiss, Leupold and Sightron ranging from x10 to x32 variables and have never had a POI shift even out to 600yds
even has a x20 Nikko Sterling from the 70's which was on a target rifle

dread to think how target shooters deal with that

from what I can see from looking this up it appears to common with cheap tatty chocolate scopes

Back