Cost of Prvi verses the rest?

Rasputin

Why is Privi ammo so damn cheap? Having never had to buy my ammo before I was surprised to see it at £10 a box vs RWS at nearly £30 a box. Results didnt seem any different. Did I just get lucky with a good box?

I have had very good results in .22-250 with 55gr SP in terms of both accuracy and expansion. The .308 Match 168gr HPBT was by far the best factory ammunition I shot in my RPA Quadlock.

Typical of my luck with anything cheep my Tikka T3 308 throws Privi all over the place and shoots beautifuley with mega expensive Sako Hammer Head :(

One of my favourite recurring questions on the French forum I use is "What brands of scopes or binos are there of the same sort of quality as Swarovski and Zeiss, but for cheap?"

I picked up a couple of boxes of PPU FMJ 175gr .308 for a club trip to Bisley @ £13.00 a box. No problem @ 600 yards ;)

Last edited:
Why is Privi ammo so damn cheap? Having never had to buy my ammo before I was surprised to see it at £10 a box vs RWS at nearly £30 a box. Results didnt seem any different. Did I just get lucky with a good box?
Just a guess but overheads (labour, tax, red tape, social costs etc) in Serbia will be a fraction of Germany/Finland et al. And let's face it, ammunition isn't technically demanding to make.

Just a guess but overheads (labour, tax, red tape, social costs etc) in Serbia will be a fraction of Germany/Finland et al. And let's face it, ammunition isn't technically demanding to make.

Thats what I suspected but being a newbie didnt know if the materials were of poor quality. I mean the box is pretty basic on them but I guess so long as they go bang its all good.

Privi partizan, shoot great In my old parker-hale .270. I have no complaints, some rifles love them - some don't !!.

I would think a lower level of quality control could play a part too. Had a box of 165 gr and 150 gr SP, both were causing over pressure issues in my Howa 1500. Bolt was also very hard to close in a new Sako A7. You could see the difference between the shoulders of the Privi partizan and the brass of a Hornady round with a naked eye.

As some of the replies above mention it is largely cheaper labour and quality control is So so, I use em in .303 but I once bought a load in .243 and they were pants.
if your rifle seems to like them and you can get a load of that same batch go ahead and buy as many as you can. They will go up as the pound is still low

If they work in your rifle mate don't knock it Just enjoy the cheap bang for buck. Bottom line some really expensive factory ammo won't shoot in really expensive rifles, and all combinations thereof. If the RWS and Privi bullets are roughly the same shape, weight and velocity, the rifle has no idea what it is firing, nor does gravity etc when it acts on two rounds that are pretty damn near identical, thus you get the same or near as damn it results! Enjoy it!

Also keep the brass, I have found Privvi 308 brass is pretty hard wearing, and not a terrible place to start if you are going to learn to relaod.

i just bought a box of 20 rws h mantel 130gr in .270w from a rfd in tain and they cost £41.80p thats a big price hike

I found a load dirt cheap a few years ago, bought 3 boxes, they just didn't shoot well in my rifle. Still got 2 boxes of 7-08 if anyones interested...

i just bought a box of 20 rws h mantel 130gr in .270w from a rfd in tain and they cost £41.80p thats a big price hike

They are what I tired with my Howa 1500 in 270 and it didnt like them, so ended up with the Privi. But yes the price is bonkers.

Last edited:
I've still got a few .308 PPU match. They seem consistent. If I am getting V-bulls at 300yrds with 180grn Samson, PPUs are consistently about a foot low and a foot to the right with the same sight setting. I put it down to barrel harmonics. The price of some makes mean that, if you are lucky enough to have a rifle that likes them, reloading economics could be questioned. I think my Samson ammo cost £8-£12 for 20, but I don't think there is much, if any, left in the UK.

Privi partizan, shoot great In my old parker-hale .270. I have no complaints, some rifles love them - some don't !!.
Think nail on head with that. Shame my PH .270 is definately the more fussy version, would never manage any consistency so just shot them off bit at a time and thought I would use for reloading but the brass was so hard I could get no neck tension so binned all the brass.

Back