Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laws Covering Baiting?

Laws Covering Baiting?

I'm currently researching material for a magazine article I'm writing which concerns the legalities of putting out bait for foxes, but I've not yet found anything written which covers it. I've talked to the ever-helpful guys at BASC, but they weren't aware of anything either. I'm hoping to speak to the NFU chap this evening, but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone here might be able to point me towards anything that might assist me?

OK,
    This is not a legal opinion, but my understanding is that a wild animal can be legally used as bait
    e.g rabbit, deer, geese, pheasant etc, but that farmed animals such a sheep and cattle cannot.
    Other stuff like canned food and fish are legal to use.
    I wish you well with your research and if you come up with some definitve answers, then please share them with us.
    I, and I imagine many other people who shoot foxes over baits would like to know the exact legal situation.

Cheers

Bruce
    Last edited by mealiejimmy; 30-11-2016 at 12:17.

Have you looked at the gwct or similar guidance on the use of middens? A popular approach to snaring and I'm sure there's a specific piece on to in their literature.

Novice

Paddy

Baiting is not illegal per se, the only rules (law) that come into play are those that apply to the use of fallen stock, see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/fallen-stock

C

Thank you, Gentlemen - that is most appreciated!

Novice - I've not been able to find anything relevant on the GWCT website, but would be glad of any pointers if I've missed them.

Charlie - thanks for the link, it covers much of what I was hoping for, but there are still a few grey areas that I'd like covered off!

A quick Google of "gwct middens" brings a link direct to their specific midden fact sheet. Sorry can't post link as on phone.

Makes reference to animal by product regulations as reason for only being able to use material from wild animals.

I'm sure if you gave them a call they'd be able to add to that.

Novice

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/foxes-moles-and-mink-how-to-protect-your-property-fr.
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 03-12-2016 at 15:07.
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    A quick Google of "gwct middens" brings a link direct to their specific midden fact sheet. Sorry can't post link as on phone.

Makes reference to animal by product regulations as reason for only being able to use material from wild animals.

I'm sure if you gave them a call they'd be able to add to that.

Novice
    Many thanks!

Some further help might be found on the British Pest Control Association website..
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post
    Some further help might be found on the British Pest Control Association website..
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I couldn't find anything relevant there.